Health Calculators
Hpathy.com
Homeopathy Discussion Forums   Online Homeopathy Course   Homeopathic Disease Prognosis   Health Calculators   Homeopathy 4 Everyone  

These forums have been archived. Visit

http://forum.hpathy.com

to access the NEW HOMEOPATHY FORUMS

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCat UTI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cverner View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cat UTI
    Posted: 03 Feb. 09 at 11:35
Cry  Please help. My 6 yr old male neutured cat has a UTI and is currently being treated by a vet, however, it has been over a week, several $$$ and he is not getting better. I gave him some cantharis (30C) - 4 doses of 3 pills every hour last Friday in desparation, and at his Saturday's appointment, he no longer had blood in the urine, started urinating Saturday PM and drank lots of water. However, this morning, there was only drops in his litter and he drank very little. He is also not eating the food from the vet (he doesn't like it and refuses to eat it). He comes to the kitchen to get some ham when making sandwiches. I broke down last night and gave him a bit since he had'nt ate anything in a week. I was wondering if the cantharis (6C) is better or if I should be giving him other remedies with the cantheris. I am going to purchase it today.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Frown
Cat
furryboots View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 09 at 02:01
Dear Cverner,

The Cantharis 30C is good first aid but you need to use it in aqueous dosing to ensure slightly increasing potency each dose. 
You also need to remove the cause of the problem, which is plant material in food (esp any veg and fruit as that makes urine alkaline) , and/or poor quality protein like by-products or gluten or soy.
Toxins are another cause (garlic, alfalfa, yucca, rosemary, marigold, etc in the food). 

The more plant material in the diet, the higher the pH of the metabolic result - and the higher the risk of struvite crystals and blockage in cats.
ALL plant food causes alkaline urine in cats and cat urine needs to be at the acid level of pH 5.5.
Meat causes an acid pH in cats.

You did not say what food you feed. I wish I could suggest a suitable commercial one but the Kitten ProPac dry I used to use for this has been causing suspicious problems lately - we suspect contamination somewhere.
So best is to make food at this point.

YOu will need to use a remedy for as long as it takes the caty to heal, and change to a good pH of urine - get some urine sticks to measure it.

I said "first aid" as regards Cantharis - as it suits the great majority of cats making struvite due to alkaline food - but there are several other remedies that may be better and it is important for the long-term health to work hard at finding the ideal matching remedy. Otherwise, if canth is wrong, it can suppress but not cure. It is still worth using as first aid as you need at all costs to prevent complete blockage - backing up urine in the kidneys and leading to kidney damage etc.
Also - you do not want a catheter - and if it is needed to prevent or open a complete blockage, it can be very damaging to the delicate male cat penis, especially if used more than 24 hrs. 

If one has been used however - then a remedy Thiosinaminum 4C can be very helpful in undoing the scar tissue so formed.

SO you ned the following in summary in my opinion:
*** Canth 30C or 200C  - (go up not down if 30C is insufficient) as first aid but aqueous and succussed between doses. Dosed AS needed.
*** Food to make acidic urine of pH 5.5, mainly chicken, turkey, fish etc.
NO plants except a half teaspoon a day of plain cooked pumpkin to supply well absorbed carotene for the immune system (CAts need 12 times as much as dogs). ANd a Quarter sheet of Nori for minerals.
No by-product protein.
No soy.
No plant fats either.
Fish oil supplement, and Vit E supplement to heal damaged tissue and reduce inflammation.
*** The right matched remedy to take over from the Cantharis to heal it long-term.
*** Damage control and repair for any antibiotics or catheters the vet may have used. 

Namaste,
    Irene

Irene de Villiers, B.Sc AASCA MCSSA D.I.Hom/D.Vet.Hom.
www.angelfire.com/fl/furryboots/clickhere.html (Veterinary Homeopath.)
"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt one doing it."
cverner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 09 at 12:56
Irene,

Thank you sooo much for the information.  I have purchased some Cantharis 200c in case the 30c is insufficient.  Unfortunately, Midnight has been catherized 4 times already, and the crystals keep blocking him.  He was on Vetenary food (which he did not like), so tonight he is getting some boiled chicken (and purhaps some tuna if he wishes).  He unfortunately did not use the litter again last night and I fear he has a complete blockage once again.  I will try the Cantheris tonight, increasing the dosage as needed.  I will also verify his urine PH with PH stick I have (that is if I can get some urine).  Unfortunately, Midnight has been suffering for the last 2 weeks and if his pain is not alleviated soon, i will have no choice but to make the decision we all don't want to make.  I wish I would have posted 2 weeks ago.  Thanks again for all your advise.  My heart goes out to you.

Cat
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 09 at 17:46
Dear Cat,

If you are not able to resolve the blockage with dosing a remedy every 5 minutes till urine flows, then you have no choice but to use the catheter. 
There is also an allopathic formula that works to open the channels temporarily and though it is toxic and for short-term use to buy time, it can save a life and a penis.

I would call Dr James Roloff, a veterinarian in Medical Lake WA to find the formula. (509) 299-3675 - have your vet phone him. I used to know it but it's on the computer that crashed. It needs a vet Rx and a compounding pharmacy to make it as the FDA messed up veterinary combination products some time back. It works. You can undo the toxicity later. Keep ON pill to make a 30C remedy for that purpose to use later.
Also you can consider a homeopathic remedy made from this instead, but you do not have time for that now - maybe later.

Another option to save a life is a surgery to make a more female-style urinary opening. Not nice to have to do but an option in a few intractable cases.

You need to buy time somehow as this took time to get bad and will take a while to undo.

Do all that first as it is an emergency - then when you can get time,  post symptoms here including mental/emotional especially, also general ones and specific, in case you get extra remedy ideas for long-term.

Namaste,
   Irene

Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 09 at 17:48
Oh dear - My typo rate is ATROCIOUS. SORRY!
KEEP ONE PILL :-) from the Rx, to make a 30C remedy.

......Irene
Harmonyheals View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 09 at 06:58
I  would look at the emotions of the cat.  if a very affectionate cat (pulsatilla type) and you leave him during the day, he may have been pinning and not urinating while you are gone. You might try an abandonment rubric along with the bladder stone.

The causticum remedies is more for male cats with a new cat in the house and there is a lack of kitty litter pans and this cat will not urinate in the other cats box?

Harmonyheals
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 09 at 20:21
Harmonyheals wrote:
<<I  would look at the emotions of the cat. 

This applies to a lesser extent in an acute situation than in a chronic one needing first aid.

>>  if a very affectionate cat (pulsatilla type)

Affectionate cats are by no stretch of imagination automatic pulsatilla types,. Puls is one of hundreds of affectionate types! Choosing a remedy involves a lot more, than this kind of guess. A good repertory is important and one can at least use an on-line one if none is in the home.

<<and you leave him during the day, he may have been pinning and not urinating while you are gone. You might try an abandonment rubric along with the bladder stone.>>

Bladder stone?
The cat has a UTI not a bladder stone. Bladder stones are very rare in cats.
Usually cat UTI issues result from alkaline food causing struvite irritation.

<<The causticum remedies is more for male cats with a new cat in the house 

According to what theory from where please?

This makes no sense. Cantharis - not Causticum - was suggested, b ut either way - Causticum is appropriate for male or female cats who have matching symptoms to those proven  to be causticum ones. 

This is how to find a homeopathic remedy - You check the cat's symptoms (including mind) and find the best matching rubrics for those symptoms - to point to the best matching remedy. The symptoms posted pointed to Cantharis.

Namaste,
     Irene

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 09 at 10:33
There was mention of blockage, sorry about that did not follow thread properly.

Louise
Harmonyheals
cverner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 09 at 10:55
Hi all,

Thank you very much for you responses.  And a special thanks to Irene.  Unfortunately, he encountered a complete blockage once again.  I did however notice a big improvement when I started the cantheris and chicken.  When I brought him to the vet, she mentionned that, unfortunately, there was too much damage already done and that if I loved hime, it would be best to end his suffering.  It was a hard decision, but I am at ease with it now. 
Cat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 09 at 15:10
Sorry to hear that.

Louise
Harmonyheals
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 09 at 21:03
My deepest sympathy for your sad loss.

.........Irene
 Post Reply Post Reply