Health Calculators
Hpathy.com
Homeopathy Discussion Forums   Online Homeopathy Course   Homeopathic Disease Prognosis   Health Calculators   Homeopathy 4 Everyone  

These forums have been archived. Visit

http://forum.hpathy.com

to access the NEW HOMEOPATHY FORUMS

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Dog with itchy skin. Ideas on remedy selections?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDog with itchy skin. Ideas on remedy selections?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Wise Owl View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dog with itchy skin. Ideas on remedy selections?
    Posted: 11 Nov. 08 at 20:14
Hi all,
 I haven't been here in a year it seems!

We have a young female Malamute pup. Almost a year old. Totally vaccine free and raw fed since 3 weeks old by her breeder then us. No chemicals on her or around her. No antibiotics and hasn't seen a conventional vet since 10 weeks old. She has been very healthy since we got her and no problems until about 3 weeks ago when I found 1 flea on her. No fleas since then but she is so itchy.
I give her a fish oil cap daily and she gets fish at least once a week for the omega 3's for her skin. She eats chicken, beef, pork, turkey, fish, and sometimes venison and moose meat when available.

She has been "blowing her coat" for the past month or two. She is a long coated Malamute and it has taken quite awhile to get it all combed/brushed out of her as she also lost all her puppy coat this time.

I don't know if it's just that constant loose hair that is driving her to scratch and bite or if it may be something else. I can find no fleas. I gave her a bath this past weekend using lavender castile shampoo. Rinsed really well after then made sure she was thoroughly dry with toweling and then a blowdryer on warm/cool setting.

I tried a dose of Ledum based on Don Hamilton's suggestions in his book but that didn't seem to help her much. 

She really doesn't have any other symptoms. No sneezing, no bowel problems, no digestive issues, ears are fine.

She does have something going on with her eyes. Just a bit of discharge in the morning that is dark and crusty. No tearing during the daytime.

Other than that, not much to go on.

She is a sweet girl with lots of love for everyone. Not aggressive at all. Bouncy and tons of energy, loves to play fetch and take really long walks.

Loves to be outside and it seems that the cold helps with the itching.

I should be able to find the correct remedy for her as I have taken two courses in Basic and then a more advanced class in homeopathy but she has me stumped. Probably cause we have been so busy with other things this fall getting ready for winter.

I just was hoping for a little help to point me in the right direction. I will not use a conventional vet for this. I really distrust them.

There are no red spots or scaliness. No hot spots, and no visible bites of any kind that I can see but it might be a flea bite that is bothering her. That is my suspicion but I haven't found any lately on her and I look two or three times a day when I see her biting at herself. I can NEVER find any on her and I do look very intensely. I also brush her daily.

Help!

Wise Owl
Wise Owl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 08 at 20:24
Just an idea is that it is the shedding doing it. That all that loose hair is driving her to itch. And it will stop when the shedding stops. I hope. But in the meantime, I would really like to help her thru this as sometimes it seems to wear her out with the itching stuff. Thank goodness she hasn't done any raw spots to herself.

Wise Owl
Zoe View Drop Down
Student
Student

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 08 at 06:43
Have you thought of Sulphur..i have had success with this in dogs, pigs and horses with itchiness.
Classical, whimsical and everything in between
edebeukelaer View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 08 at 09:57
Dear Zoe,
My experience is that sulphur homeopathically used is not that reliable for all itches and other skin problems. Can you explain why and how you use the sulfur and what you consider to be a 'success'. This forum is about discussion not throwing remedies around.
Edward
edward
homeopathy for the patient behind the symptoms.
edward@debeukelaer.fslife.co.uk
Zoe View Drop Down
Student
Student

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 08 at 12:27
Dear Edward,
Sorry  I am new here. i was replying to someone who has as he stated has attended some homeopathic courses..I was suggesting that he look it up and see if it fits his dogs state.

This summer i prescribed sulphur 30c 3x a day for  a week some pigs with mange.. it cleared it up with the aid of flowers of sulfur scrubbed on the pigs once a day (available from gardening supply places). I prescribed this as pigs are very "sulphurish" by nature...love dirt/mud, and they are intelligent.

I recall using sulphur 30c on a horse with sweet itch, This horse always had a bedraggled look about him even when he was freshly groomed, he was sweet itch free for the rest of the summer.

I also used sulphur for a  case of mud fever in a horse, The owner had tried several remedies with no sucess. I gave sulphur and again the mud fever was gone. Again my justification..was this relationship with dirt.

I also used sulphur on a wiry coat Jack russle whom in the summer rubbed himself raw.. he had no tics, fleas and was chemical free...he adored rolling in dirt espacially after a groom or bath so i gave Sulphur as he loved this love of dirt was so prominent....

I hope this clarifys my intial statement. In my opinion sulphur works well on some animals who are in my opinion very psoric by nature especially so when they are young.
This dog in question, seems very healthy, no other problems except the eye..which sulphur has crusty discharges..itching, worse for heat (THE SHEDDING), just a thought.

Zoe View Drop Down
Student
Student

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 08 at 13:15
Oh forgot to mention i put liquid potency in the water for the animals to drink, or on an apple/ carrot for horses.
Wise Owl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 08 at 19:53
Thanks for the Sulpher suggestion. I will look at that again. She has so few symptoms to look at altho she does love mud, digging in the dirt, laying in the wet driveway....
OH, forgot one outstanding thing. She loves to chew on sticks, large or small. She will drag huge branches out of the woods to chew on.
She has lots of chewie things and toys but has always loved chewing on wood. She had an abscess with a splinter in it a month or so ago. 1 dose of Silicea took care of that in a couple days.

I also use the medicinal solution. I follow the 5th and 6th edition of Hahnneman's Organon. I also study David Little's articles on dosage, ect. 

I am very careful of selecting remedies and only do so when there is a clear need and the symptoms match the best. It's hard sometimes with your own pets as you tend to miss things that you wouldn't if you were working up a case with someone else's pet. I am lousy at doing it for myself also and usually ask for help if needed.

I am working on this issue tho.

Wondering about the eating strange things tho. I have to look at Sulphur again. I don't remember if that is a symptom right now. (been a long day and it's late here)

Thanks, I will be back if the symptoms don't fit well enough. I think this is borderline chronic now and not an acute as it has lasted a couple months now.
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 08 at 09:01

Unless you can indicate a clear infection coming from poor living conditions or a toxic influence, skin problems are always a chronic disease; signs of the chronic disease of the patient, therefore needing a chronic remedy. That is why, Zoe, I would be cautious with suggesting sulfur as a remedy. Sulfur is only a slightly more common remedy in the case of skin problems.

Further, if you use the remedy for longer periods in a 30 c dilution or as a sulfur powder orally or topical, you can very easily have a strong suppressive action on the patient where the skin problems disappear but later other problems will appear instead.
edward
Wise Owl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 08 at 13:45

Quote:Unless you can indicate a clear infection coming from poor living conditions or a toxic influence, skin problems are always a chronic disease; signs of the chronic disease of the patient, therefore needing a chronic remedy. That is why, Zoe, I would be cautious with suggesting sulfur as a remedy. Sulfur is only a slightly more common remedy in the case of skin problems.

Further, if you use the remedy for longer periods in a 30 c dilution or as a sulfur powder orally or topical, you can very easily have a strong suppressive action on the patient where the skin problems disappear but later other problems will appear instead. :Unquote

This is why I haven't given her anything else besides the single dose of Ledum 30C when she had the single flea on her. There were a couple bites on her back then and those cleared up.

The problem is there is no obvious reason for itching. She is really a pretty clean dog. She is groomed daily and bathed when needed. I do not bathe regularly as soon do as that takes the natural oils away from the skin that protect it. Other than some hosing of her legs to get mud off when it has been muddy and raining, she has only had a couple baths this summer. She didn't smell bad and was not dirty.

She was very itchy this morning again. I checked her again and found no fleas or hot spots or irritations apparent. Just more of the loose hair coming out. When I have no symptom to work with other than the itchiness, I am really at a loss on whether to even do anything at this point.
Her skin is clear and appears healthy. She has always been a very healthy dog. She has had ZERO vaccines and her parents only had their puppy shots a long, long time ago. They are also very healthy. They are not in the USA where vaccines are pushed heavily.

The parents and grandparents have all been raw fed also. It's really tough to find anything to work with here. Maybe I will just let it be for now. Until something presents itself more visible?

By the way. She is 1 yr old today! Happy Birthday Ashly.
Zoe View Drop Down
Student
Student

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 08 at 05:46
I agree edward with the supression idea, you do have to be careful, a single dose would be most appropriate. I think Sulphur is such a healthy remedy, thats another reason it springs to mind.

I have re read your post and think she maybe just too hot.....My Dad has a couple of Samoid huskies, he has to keep them outside all year round, they find being in doors unbearable. Also i would avoid bathing (i know you've done this once only). as it destroys the oils in the coat that keeps the skin healthy.
Good luck
I think your decision to leave well alone until she shows you some more characteristics is a good idea.
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 08 at 05:47
Try and describe for us what is important and not important for Ashley, what does she likes, dislikes, what does she dream off, what she thinks of herself, what sort of a pup she was, what upsets her, things she may be frightened off. Start writing and writing without thinking, take about two hours at least, then post your pages long write up and we will have a look at it. Don't edit, dont be afraid to repeat yourself . Less than that and you will have to be very lucky to find a solution.
edward
Wise Owl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 08 at 07:11
edebeukelaer, I will try to do that today. We have a nasty storm coming this way but maybe I can find some time to sit down to it.

Zoe, this is not a dog I will leave outside all the time. I would have major problems with that up here as we have many dangers out there with coyotes and such. She is still a very young dog and we do not have a fenced in yard. She would have to be on her cable run and not able to defend herself.

So that is not possible. Also, she spent all of last winter or at least the part we had her inside and wasn't itchy.

She itches whether she is inside or outside. Doesn't seem to make much difference at this point.

I will get to the likes/dislikes, ect sometime today.
Wise Owl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 08 at 06:01
Edward and Zoe, I have found the cause. A flea was on her that I didn't see.
And this past weekend it was very warm for this time of year and she went swimming with a neighbor dog. They both got wet and I think the fleas outside decided wet/stinky dog was a good place to live as I found 3 more on her last night and 1 yesterday morning.
I have dusted her with DE (diatomaceous earth) and also her bedding. I vacuumed really well yesterday and will put even more DE down in the living areas. Wait 3 days and then vacuum daily till we get em all.

In the meantime, the new fleas have bitten her up pretty badly just overnight. She is very allergic to these things with little pink bumps on her underside of the hind legs. Also a bite or two on her back now.....Ouch 
My poor baby. I had just gone thru the DE thing with her then used lavender oil after her bath.
This time of year it is very hard on the dogs up here. The fleas want a warm place and the dogs are it.
Ashly has a thick coat even without the undercoat and she is a prime candidate as a host.

Ok, so now I have symptoms.
Red bumps that itch terribly.
Restless
Wants to be outside where it's cold as it makes the itch feel better.
Much biting and itching

I will look at this as an acute again now. Possibly Apis or Ledum or a couple others might fit.
I HATE fleas. Grrr. I try so hard to keep my pup clean and the house also but this time of year is awful.

Any suggestions other than DE and lavender oil on her would be very welcome.

Thanks!

Wise Owl
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 08 at 09:12
is she the only dog with fleas in your house?
Do you live in a town village or way out in the sticks, away from other dogs and cats?
If she responds to one flea (= allergy?!) I would not see this as an acute at all. Dogs can have fleas and itch without it being a major disaster...
Edward
edward
Wise Owl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 08 at 11:08
Edward,
Ashly is the only dog in the house. She was with another dog this past weekend however. They went swimming together and played most of the day on Sat. We live in the mt's out in the sticks. No other dogs around close by. Nothing much in the way of other animals close in either except an occasional deer walking thru. No squirrels or chipmunks, ect.

Up until a month ago, she had no fleas or itchiness. We never saw her scratching and digging. I do believe it is an allergy to fleas causing this. The DE I put on her has also made her itchy now..and the smell since I put it on her is awful. Not sure if that is her or the DE or a combination. Really stinky.

I caught her eating dirt this morning. I know some dogs do that for the probiotics in it. She did that in the spring but not all summer.

I will try to get a workup done on her soon. I gave her a single dose of Ledum which seems to be working pretty well. I went by the symptoms of bites/red bumps/swelling and itching/burning.

I know this may prove to be pallitive but I can't have her biting herself raw over some fleas.
She woke me up this morning with her licking and biting. I haven't seen any fleas since this morning and no flea dirt on her so there must not be a lot of them in the house. I did dust the areas where she sleeps/lays with DE. Hopefully I will kill them off soon.

I think the neighbors who were up at their cabin for the weekend may have a flea problem with their dog and that is how Ashly got them. My husband and I remember that it was when she was up before that Ashly got the first fleas! I will see if I can suggest a bath for the neighbor dog and possibly some DE or something to their home. I think she is bringing them up here with her.

Back later with more for you to work on. Sorry this is taking so long. It's late fall here and so much to do outside to get ready for winter. Some things have to be done before the snow gets heavier.
Harmonyheals View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 09 at 07:21
What about Staphasagria?

Check the white of the eyes if bloodshot she might need more exercise, more antioxidants.

People that feed raw tend to use a lot of frozen meat and so tend to be low in some vit B's and vit E  supplementing with these might be helpful.  Use a vit B complex, check the amount needed.  I am partial to natural Factors capsules 50mg and IF it were my dog would give 2 a day at least.

Remember that Hahnemann said to start with regimemen first :o)))

Louise
 Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Arial Rounded MT Bold"; panose-1:2 15 7 4 3 5 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText {mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:14.0pt; font-family:"Arial Rounded MT Bold","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; color:black;} span.PlainTextChar {mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char"; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-locked:yes; mso-style-link:"Plain Text"; mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:14.0pt; font-family:"Arial Rounded MT Bold","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:"Arial Rounded MT Bold"; mso-hansi-font-family:"Arial Rounded MT Bold"; color:black; mso-fareast-language:EN-CA;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Harmonyheals
bravoshaz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 09 at 19:46
My dog had the same problem a couple of years ago (skin allergies) and I have been treating her successfully with homeopathy ever since, but it is ongoing treatment - due to the fact that symptoms change. The first remedy - Staphasagria 30c - was given because she had a bad allergic reaction to being washed with a pure natural soap. So firstly, do not ever use soap of any kind. (mix 3 tblsp of baking soda to a bucket of water and rinse rinse rinse!) The remedy worked within ten minutes. I also switched to a totally organic and red meat free diet. Cook up 4cups of brown rice and an organic chicken together.Give this with finely chopped carrot or any veges or fruit agreeable to dogs.My dog loves apples, pears and bananas.Make your own biscuts from rice flour, never buy that other rubbish.She is 11yr's old and so healthy and full of energy now.Never use any chemicals or poisens on your dog.Especially flea medications.If you cant put it on your skin why put it on your pets?And dont vaccinate unecessarily.My dog does not have vaccinations.I am finding now that lower doses (eg. 6c) are very effective and more preferable so you dont have any aggressive aggravations.
I hope this helps.
bravoshaz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 09 at 19:49
Pulsitilla eats strange things like dirt.
furryboots View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 09 at 20:12
Be careful with  Diatomaceous Earth - it is very damaging to lungs if breathed in, and to gut if licked and swallowed - as it is way worse than broken glass. (Ask yourself... would you dust broken glass on a dog or in its bedding? Or yours?)

Essential oils are toxic to dogs, do not use them. They absorb through the skin and in any quantity can even kill.

Here's a better idea:
Introduce brewer's yeast to the diet, it builds up the B vits so the dog's blood tastes bad to fleas.
During itching, add pantothenic acid high dose, and Vit C and a B-50 style B vitamin supplement as well.

I agree with Ed that this kind of flea response is due to chronic issues (allergies) and not due to the flea bite as such. So the real issue is to re-balance the immune system so as to get rid of the allergic response. The actual fleas are just a trigger of a much more significant problem - the allergic state.
The right homeopathic remedy will remedy this but it needs some in depth analysis to find the right one. Maybe you know a good homeopath to ask for help?

Namaste,
    Irene

Irene de Villiers, B.Sc AASCA MCSSA D.I.Hom/D.Vet.Hom.
www.angelfire.com/fl/furryboots/clickhere.html (Veterinary Homeopath.)
"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt one doing it."
Harmonyheals View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 09 at 23:36
Diatomaceous Earth is not damaging if swallowed.  It is used routinely to get rid of worms.
It is not harmful to mammals.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html has a lot of information on it's use.

Caution with breathing is correct though.  Can be drying to the skin as well though not dangerous.

IT is way safer to use to control pests than the alternative drugs.

Essential oils can be dangerous especially to toy dogs, cats and birds (just near birds can cause problems)

Brewer's yeast can also cause itchiness and if you are trying to keep your dog from being itchy, you might want to skip this suggestion.

A flee light though is a great way to control flees in combination with bathing the dog (regular shampoo and let it sit for 10 minutes (starting at the head first and leave a lot of water in the tub as well for those that jump off to drown in.

The flee light is done with a light hung over a water pan (12 inches) with a little soap in it.  this encourages near by flees to jump for the heat of the lamp and drown in the water with tension removed from the water to facilitate drowning.  Move the light 5 feed daily.

Some sent these up outside with a water proof type light (some put them in old wire crates to keep the dogs out of the water)

As for the allergies, often they go away with a raw meaty bone diet (no grains), not always but often enough that it would be what I would do if it were my dog.

Louise

Harmonyheals
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>