Health Calculators
Hpathy.com
Homeopathy Discussion Forums   Online Homeopathy Course   Homeopathic Disease Prognosis   Health Calculators   Homeopathy 4 Everyone  

These forums have been archived. Visit

http://forum.hpathy.com

to access the NEW HOMEOPATHY FORUMS

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFeline Heart Disease, Pleural Effusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nginLA View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feline Heart Disease, Pleural Effusion
    Posted: 14 Oct. 08 at 17:50
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. Sorry, I didn't realise there was a section for veterinary homeopathy and I posted in the wrong forum. So I am reposting here.

Before I ask the question, I wanted to let you know that I am seeing a conventional vet, and I also have an upcoming consultation with a holistic vet (next Tuesday). I'm just trying to get informed, and any advice would help as to what to do in the mean time to help support my cat. I've been using homeopathic medicine myself for years and now that she is showing signs of a major illness, I'd like to explore the option of homeopathic treatment for her.

Symptoms: Labored breathing (fast, short) lack of appetite, very inactive, occasional wheezing (like she is trying to fill her lungs with air but can't).

She's still very affectionate and purring, but clearly she's having a hard time. This is an 8 year old female cat who has always been super healthy; I've had her on a raw diet for years and she seemed to thrive.

Almost 2 weeks ago, she started making the wheezing sound and I noticed she was breathing heavy and her mouth was open. I took her to the vet's office immediately, and after reviewing x-rays, her chest cavity was filled with fluid (pleural effusion), which they extracted and had tested. The fluid test came back pointing to heart disease. I had to take her in this weekend to do further tests and remove more fluid from her chest cavity. She is obviously so much better after they drain the fluid, but within a week, it seems to be back.

A blood test reveals a moderately high white blood cell count, but they figure it has more to do with stress than an infection. The ekg was normal except the heart rate was fast. The vet prescribed a diuretic - Lasix (furosemide 12.5 mg, 1/2 tablet every 12 hours) and Benazepril Hcl for the heart (5 mg, 1/2 tablet every 24 hours). The cardiologist said to keep the medication the same until the ultrasound, which is this coming Friday. The ultrasound should reveal more but at this time, it all points to heart disease.

Is there anything that is known to help this condition in cats that I could possibly try until the visit with the holistic vet? The concern is of course finding the cause, but relieving the fluid build up is a major element in the immediate. I've been giving her Bach flower remedies prior to each vet visit and on a daily basis as she acted pretty traumatized from the process.

Thank you so much

N
edebeukelaer View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 08 at 05:24
This is a very difficult condition to treat. I am unsure whether it is really related to the heart (usually causes oedema in the lungs not in the chest cavity). The cause of the build up can be anything from a mediastinal tumor to idiopathic (=unknown). Homeopathy can be a good way to tackle this problem but the prescription will have te be very accurately tailored to the patient. There are certainly no remedies one can reasonably suggest off hand.
edward
homeopathy for the patient behind the symptoms.
edward@debeukelaer.fslife.co.uk
cocojambo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 08 at 01:41
These all look to be symptoms of Pleural mesothelioma, although no doctor can accurately diagnose this 100%

"Symptoms of Pleural mesothelioma can easily match symptoms of other common diseases such as pneumonia, extreme cough, flu or cold, therefore it is very difficult to diagnose pleural mesothelioma via the symptoms alone. Because pleural mesothelioma takes between 30 - 50 years to develop after initial asbestos exposure, it often takes months for doctors to accurately diagnose it. Not many patients know about asbestos exposure, neither does the doctor when you give your medical history. Thus this makes it very difficult to diagnose pleural mesothelioma. Here are the common symptoms of pleural mesothelioma: - Blood Clots
- Soarness
- Difficulty speaking
- Pleural Effusions (Fluid around the lungs)
- Excessive coughing
- Chest pain
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Formation of lumps under the skin on the chest
- Night sweating"
 Post Reply Post Reply