Health Calculators
Hpathy.com
Homeopathy Discussion Forums   Online Homeopathy Course   Homeopathic Disease Prognosis   Health Calculators   Homeopathy 4 Everyone  

These forums have been archived. Visit

http://forum.hpathy.com

to access the NEW HOMEOPATHY FORUMS

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBoxer dog and food problems, please help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
beckhamsmom View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boxer dog and food problems, please help!
    Posted: 29 July 08 at 12:06
Hello, my name is Tara and I reside in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

My partner and I have a 1 1/2 year old boxer named Beckham.  He is the love of our lives, but ever since he was little he has had a LOT of health problems.  He nearly died from pneumonia when we first got him, has had UTIs, and is chronically picky with food (and we did oodles of research on what was best for him). 

We started bringing him to a homeopathic vet, and she put him on Zypan to help with his tummy and a few liquid and pill supplements, as well as daily probiotics and cranberry pills.  He was on an excellent food; grainless kibble with a little good canned in the AM, and then raw biscuits at night, as recommended by our homeopathic vet.  This all worked out great for a while, and he would always eat.   Slowly, he went off the Zypan and was only on probiotics and a liquid supplement.

Then, about three weeks ago, our Min Pin got incredibly sick with a bug (pooped in her kennel a LOT in one day), and then we think she passed it on to Beckham.  He had the runs very badly, and although we didn't want to, after the third day we brought him in and put him on antibiotics, which always throws him into a funk since he's been on them so much.

It's been about two weeks and his stool is mostly normal, a little soft. However, he is BARELY interested in food.  He is back to being a picky eater like before.  He only will eat canned food sometimes and certain kibbles sometimes, but is maybe eating partially one meal a day at most.  He just turns his nose up at it.  When we mix his food with yogurt and cottage cheese, he will only eat that, and NOT the raw ! He always loved his raw, although this is his first time on the beef raw.  He is however drinking plenty of water (had his kidneys checked in april and they were OK) and has energy.

Well after eating 2 nearly full meals yesterday, this morning he wanted nothing, not even treats, and lowww energy.  I called our homeopathic vet, and she is having us do strictly fish kibble (which he hates) and venison or rabbit kibble with a little water: nothing else.  No yogurt or cottage cheese or chicken. He is going back on Zypan and will have 10mg of Zantac daily too. We are going to see what happens in the next two days, and if his energy is low and he's still lethargic, then she thinks it may be pancreantitis.  We will have to do tests then.  However, the vet feels it may just be stomach stuff, but if that's the case he should turn around quickly.

Does anyone have any experience with a dog's diet like this?  apparently boxers are notoriously picky eaters, I just don't know what brought this on.  We are worried, and to make matters worse, are under a lot of financial strain at the moment and cannot afford a million tests again that have already been done (but of course will do it if necessary.

ANY advice, or information is appreciated!
crazyred View Drop Down
Student
Student

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 08 at 17:54
Hi Tara,

Are you giving him the raw food and kibble too close together?  They should not be given too close together as their digestive system processes them differently.

Also, he may be getting too much food.  Try giving him only one meal per day.

How is he otherwise?  Is he quite bright and energetic or does he seem ill?

edebeukelaer View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 08 at 04:19

Hi Tara,

This sounds like a complicated case. There is also no diagnosis. You should ask your vet to check a few things in order to come up with a diagnosis or at least an idea how bad or not the situation is.

You also talk about a homeopathic vet but not about remedies that were prescribed. I am not sure I understand.

A case like this needs a throurough homeopathic follow up and will need some resiliance from owner and homepath to return beckham back to health.

Best.

Edward

edward
homeopathy for the patient behind the symptoms.
edward@debeukelaer.fslife.co.uk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 08 at 12:19
Originally posted by crazyred

Hi Tara,

Are you giving him the raw food and kibble too close together?  They should not be given too close together as their digestive system processes them differently.

Also, he may be getting too much food.  Try giving him only one meal per day.

How is he otherwise?  Is he quite bright and energetic or does he seem ill?

Not too close together; no.  about 11 hours apart, and one is straight kibble, and one is straight raw.  We have heard boxers are susceptible to bloat, so we try to feed twice daily. 

He is VERY bright and energetic otherwise.  Up until we tried the beef raw, we was eating just fine.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 08 at 12:26
Originally posted by edebeukelaer

Hi Tara,

This sounds like a complicated case. There is also no diagnosis. You should ask your vet to check a few things in order to come up with a diagnosis or at least an idea how bad or not the situation is.

You also talk about a homeopathic vet but not about remedies that were prescribed. I am not sure I understand.

A case like this needs a throurough homeopathic follow up and will need some resiliance from owner and homepath to return beckham back to health.

Best.

Edward

I guess the problem is it HASN'T been very thorough. She is very hard to reach and incredibly expensive.  A phone call discussing issues is about 40 dollars. 

I guess I feel like it hasn't been consistent; he was doing incredibly well for a while, and now has backtracked.

We are going to seek a second opinion.

Also, she is now saying that if we don't switch him off raw chicken he may develop IBD?  He develops chicken WONDERFULLY and loves it - we of course switch this up with other things like venison and rabbit. 

I have read up on IBD, and Beckham does not have ANY of those symptoms.  HE has maintained his weight, isn't vomiting nor does he have chronic diarrhea.  Once in a while, he will get a gurgly tummy.  she says it's abnormal for him EVER to not want a meal.

What are your thoughts?
crazyred View Drop Down
Student
Student

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 08 at 13:45
Hi again.

My 2 year old Presa Canario has been on the fully raw diet since he was 4 months old as he had terrible diarrhea and a skin condition which was causing bald patches.  We started with chicken carcasses (as these are the most widely available here) and it solved most of the problems immedately.  He still has slightly flaky skin but, not as bad and no bald patches.  We've tried him on beef but, it makes him sick and gives him diarrhea, likewise pork.  So, we stick to chicken & turkey.  I also add 20ml of Apple Cider Vinegar & twice per week give some pureed veg.  Occasionally some cottage cheese or a whole raw egg and some flax seed oil if he strains to toilet.

By IBD, do you mean inflammatory bowel disease?  I don't think that feeding chicken causes this.  Some dogs can develop an allergy to poultry, but some dogs (including mine) can't seem to stomach anything.  I also believe that bloat is quite rare in raw fed dogs.  I would feed him what seems to suit him and then treat anything that comes up after that homeopathically. 
I would also look for a different homeopathic vet!! 
Maybe you should try feeding only raw?  It's cheaper, easier and better for the dog.

Hope this helps and let us know how Beckham gets on.
Emmie22 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 09 at 13:13
Hi are you still having problems with your boxer eating? I have two boxers as well that are terrible eaters. I show them so I have been forced to hand feed them. Plus I do not want people to think that I starve my dogs! I give them bil-jac, raw, and raw ground meat.
furryboots View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 09 at 04:13
What does the ingredients list of the kibble look like? Is it free of canine toxins like alfalfa, yucca garlic, broccoli, etc?
Does it have canine-fermentable fiber like rice bran for gut and organ health?
Does it have good animal fats and not inflammatory seed oils like flax, etc?
[Can you post an ingredients list?]

Namaste,
    Irene
Irene de Villiers, B.Sc AASCA MCSSA D.I.Hom/D.Vet.Hom.
www.angelfire.com/fl/furryboots/clickhere.html (Veterinary Homeopath.)
"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt one doing it."
Harmonyheals View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 09 at 08:24
I  would drop the kibble and do just raw with a fermented salad, a little with meals and more 2 hours before.

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">

The probiotics given this way will help a lot in keeping the intestinal flora in balance.

Been feeding raw for 10 years now and found this to be very helpful for helping to switch dogs over to a raw meaty bone diet.

Joining a raw feeding group might be also helpful (one locally to find a mentor to help you find sources and a quick help locally)

The yahoo group RawK9s has a lot of references in their files that might also be helpful.

Louise

FERMENTED SALAD=GROW YOUR OWN PROBIOTICS

The fermented pulped salad is made (mostly with leafy greens) adding probiotics (human grade and non dairy) to establish the good bacteria in the intestines. The human grade digestive enzymes are also added (need one with cellulase and amylase at least) are added to the pulped salad and keep the mix at BODY temperature (needs to be that temperature to trigger the digestive enzymes and get the probiotics multiplying at their optimum temperature) for at least 15 minutes before feeding (longer the dogs like it better), wait at least 2 hours after this salad mix before feeding meaty bones for the best results.

This salad helps diarrhea problems as well as constipation, boost the immune system and gives extra B vitamins to boot :o))))  It helps to repair the intestines by establishing good bacteria that prefers raw food and leafy greens.

You first pulp the veggies (chop up some romaine lettuce so it is easier to process, some freeze it first to smash into very tiny pieced in the bag after it is frozen) some add a little water for processing) it should look like baby food when done.  For sick animals make it mostly leafy greens and low starchy veggies.  You can freeze this mush and then continue the rest of the procedure when you need some more fermented veggies.

Do not use cabbage family daily, tends to bug up the thyroid, three times a week is OK if you are giving it that often.

With the thawed mixture or the freshly made one you add some probiotics human grade (non dairy type) always sold in the fridge of pharmacy or health food store.  Add one capsule or digestive enzymes (like UDO's digestive blend human type, though if you read the labels you will find similar types for less money) you do not want the coated type and they should have the basics of Cellulase and Amylase.  (for dogs and cats about 10 pounds or less use 1/4 capsule of each)  You do not however need more than one capsule as the enzymes are a catalyst and are not used up but do their job and move on, allowing the good bacteria to digest the veggies.  So the food can be kept at body temperature longer than  the 15 minutes at BODY temperature but not less.

Many dogs prefer the fermentation to be longer than 15 minutes as the smell is more delicious to them.

Feed two hours before regular meal for the maximum benefit.

Best with a sick dog to add a little of the salad to his food as well and so for these dogs their digestive enzymes should also have Lipase and Protease in the digestive enzymes mix.  Since I share my digestive enzymes with my dog I make sure that is also has Lactase as I have problems with milk digestion.

I do not like the dog types because they often add stuff and some use the poorest quality and the probiotics often are not alive.  Some are a joke and if you read the label are often are just prebiotics and sold on a shelf so no live ones left (The ones I have seen are a waste of money IMO or not as beneficial as getting the human grade varieties) 

What I use this salad mixture for is to help with diarrhea, constipation, re-establish a good balance of bacteria in the intestines, gives a small boost of some B vitamins and boost the immune system (having a balances intestines tends to do this).

Some use this salad instead of a fast day when feeding a raw meaty bone diet.    You can keep the extra for 3 days in the fridge and only warming it up before serving.  A good way to know if you dog would benefit from a fermented salad is to check the white of the eyes, if blood shot then this is a good time to have the Fermented salad.  It is not though the only thing (anti oxidants like vit C can be helpful or exercise for instance.)

Harmonyheals
 Post Reply Post Reply