Health Calculators
Hpathy.com
Homeopathy Discussion Forums   Online Homeopathy Course   Homeopathic Disease Prognosis   Health Calculators   Homeopathy 4 Everyone  

These forums have been archived. Visit

http://forum.hpathy.com

to access the NEW HOMEOPATHY FORUMS

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhytolacca Berry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
msdaisy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phytolacca Berry
    Posted: 27 Feb. 08 at 15:09

I wanted to know if anyone has tried PHYTOLACCA BERRY's Mother Tincture for weight loss?  Does it work?  And if is does where do you get it?  Thanks.

G Tyler View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 08 at 15:38

Boericke’s Homeopathic Materia Medica

PHYTOLACCA (Poke-root)

Aching, soreness, restlessness, prostration, are general symptoms guiding to Phytolacca. Pre-eminently a glandular remedy. Glandular swellings with heat and inflammation. Has a powerful effect on fibrous and osseous tissues; fasciae and muscle sheaths; acts on scar tissue. Syphilitic bone pains; chronic rheumatism. Sore throat, quinsy, and diphtheria. Tetanus and opisthotonos. Decrease of weight. Retarded dentition.

Mind.— Loss of personal delicacy, disregard of surrounding objects. Indifferent to life.

Head.— Vertigo on rising. Brain feels sore. Pain from frontal region backward. Pressure in temples and over eyes. Rheumatism of scalp; pains come on every time it rains. Scaly eruption on scalp.

Eyes.— Smarting. Feeling of sand under lids. Tarsal edges feel hot. Fistula lachrymalis. [Fluor, ac.] Abundant lachrymation, hot.

Nose.— Coryza; flow of mucus from one nostril and from posterior nares.

Mouth.— Teething children with irresistible desire to bite the teeth together. Teeth clenched; lower lip drawn down; lips everted; jaws firmly set; chin drawn down on sternum. Tongue red tip, feels rough and scalded; bleeding from mouth; blisters on side. Mapped, indented, fissured, with yellow patch down center. Much stringy saliva.

Throat.— Dark red or bluish red. Much pain at root of tongue; soft palate and tonsils swollen. Sensation of a lump in throat. [Bell.; Lach.] Throat feels rough, narrow, hot. Tonsils swollen, especially right; dark-red appearance. Shooting pain into ears on swallowing. Pseudo-membranous exudation, grayish white; thick, tenacious yellowish mucus, difficult to dislodge. Cannot swallow anything hot. [Lack.] Tension and pressure in parotid gland. Ulcerated sore throat and diphtheria; throat feels very hot; pain at root of tongue extending to ear. Uvula large, dropsical. Quinsy; tonsils and fauces swollen, with burning pain; cannot swallow even water. Mumps. Follicular pharyngitis.

Abdomen.— Sore spot in right hypochondrium. Rheumatism of abdominal muscles. Colic at navel. Burning griping pains. Bruised feeling through epigastrium and abdomen. Constipation of the aged and those with weak heart. Bleeding from rectum.

Urine.— Scanty, suppressed, with pain in kidney region. Nephritis.

Female.— Mastitis; mammae hard and very sensitive. Tumors of the breasts with enlarged axillary glands. Cancer of breast. Breast is hard, painful and of purple hue. Mammary abscess. When child nurses, pain goes from nipple all over body. Cracks and small ulcers about nipples. Irritable breasts, before and during menses. Galactorrhoea. [Calc.] Menses too copious and frequent. Ovarian neuralgia of right side.

Male.— Painful induration of testicles. Shooting along perineum to penis.

Heart.— Feeling as if heart leaped into throat. [Pod.] Shock of pain in cardiac region alternating with pain in right arm.

Respiratory.—Aphonia. Difficult breathing; dry hacking, tickling cough; worse at night. [Mentha; Bellad.[ Aching pains in chest, through mid-sternum; with cough. Rheumatism of lower intercostals.

Back.— Aching pains in lumbar region; pains streaking up and down spine into sacrum. Weakness and dull pain in region of kidneys. Back stiff, especially in morning on rising and during damp weather.

Extremities.—Shooting pain in right shoulder, with stiffness and inability to raise arm. (see Heart.) Rheumatic pains; worse in morning. Pains fly like electric shocks, shooting, lancinating, shifting rapidly. [Puls.; Kali bich.] Pain in under side of thighs. Syphilitic sciatica. Aching of heels; relieved by elevating feet. Pains like shocks. Pain in legs, patient dreads to get up. Feet puffed; pain, in ankles and feet. Neuralgia in toes.

Fever.— High fever, alternating with chilliness and great prostration.

Skin.— Itches, becomes dry, shrunken, pale. Papular and pustular lesions. Most useful in early stages of cutaneous diseases. Disposition to boils, and when sloughing occurs. Squamous eruptions. Syphilitic eruptions. Swelling and induration of glands. Venereal buboes. Scarlatina-like rash. Warts and moles.

Modalities.— Worse, sensitive to electric changes. Effects of a wetting, when it rains, exposure to damp, cold weather, night, exposure, motion, right side. Better, warmth, dry weather, rest.

Relationship.— Compare: Tincture of Phytolacca Berry (sore throats and in the treatment of obesity); Bry.; Rhus; Kali hyd.; Merc.; Sang.; Arum triph.

Inimical: Mercur.

Antidotes: Milk and salt; Bellad.; Mezer.

Dose,— Tincture, to third potency. Externally for mastitis.

you may feel gratefull that homeopathy survived the attempts of allopaths to destroy it- MARK TWAIN

(classical Homeopathy Los Angeles,Calif,USA)
G Tyler View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 08 at 15:44

Dear Daisy,welcome to the forum

Weight loss is not as easy as just taking tincture A,or pill B...........................

Homeopaths do not prescribe remedies in this manner,a full case needs to be taken. All aspects of your imbalance need to be looked into,Why the weight gain? Physical/mental/emotional/trauma/iatrogenic/pathology-dietar y changes need looking into/hormonal factors/toxins in your system..............?  For 1,000 people that ask your question,there are 1,000 different homeopathic remedies that might work. Where did you get this information from? A homeopath....................................

you may feel gratefull that homeopathy survived the attempts of allopaths to destroy it- MARK TWAIN

msdaisy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 08 at 15:50
Thank you so much for responding.  I found it online today (I don't remember where) but I was looking for a natural "assistance" to add to my diet for weightloss.  I agree with you 100% that there are many reason's people gain weight and there are a number of factors in volved.  My weight gain is I believe from early menopause.
G Tyler View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 08 at 18:53

Dear DAisy

In that case its best if you seek counsil and have the homeopath find you a "constitutional homeopathic remedy",this will balance you in a general way-and of course taking into consideration "all "aspects of you (physical/mental/emotional) Not just the weight issue.

When your body goes through menopause there are drastic emotional and hormonal/physical  changes happening. This happens more smoothly if your body  has no toxins (mental and physical toxins) The physicals can be detoxed via herbs/supplm/dietary changes Ph balancing food..............But regards the emotional+mental imbalances Homeopathic prescribing is best.  A great holistic site for alternative healing:  www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com (searchbox: menopause)

Menopause Alternative medicine
Alternative medicine for menopause. Learn ... in menopause today, ... treating menopause symptoms. Natural Remedies for Menopause About Conventional Treatment for Menopause Symptoms
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/women_menopause.htm

see link for homeopaths in the USA   www.homeopathic.org and make an appt.

JUST A FEW HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES THAT ARE USED FOR MENOPAUSAL SYMPTOMS,MANY MORE NOT LISTED HERE:

Homeopathic Medicine & Treatment for Pre-Menopause (PMS) & Menopause

#Lachesis [Lach]
Suits especially women who never get well from the change of life; "have never felt well since that time." It corresponds to many climacteric troubles, such as haemorrhoids, haemorrhages, vertigo,burning on the vertex and headaches. It is remedy for women worn out by frequent pregnancies, with sudden cessation of the menses, trembling pulse, headache, flushing of the heat and rush of blood to the head, cold feet and constriction about the heart. Amyl nitrite. Flushes of heat at change of life. The 30th potency acts well here. Strontiana carbonica. Flushes of heat with head symptoms relieved by wrapping head up warmly. Sanguinaria. Flushes at climaxis; headache with profuse menses. Caladium. Pruritus at menopause. Aconite. Derangements of circulation at menopause. Hughes also praises Glonoine for these conditions. Veratrum viride. Perhaps no remedy controls the flushes of heat, so annoying to women at the change of life,as well as Veratrum viride.

#Cimicifuga [Cimic]
is very often the remedy for the suffering incident to the change of life. There is sinking at the stomach, pain at the vertex and irritability of disposition. The patient is restless and unhappy, feels sad and grieved. Bayes prefers the 6th and 12th potencies to the lower dilutions. It is but just to state that many have been disappointed in the use of this remedy. Caulophyllin 3X. Dr. Ludlam praises this remedy for nervous conditions following the climaxis, when there is "great nervous tension and unrest with a propensity to work and worry over little things." Sepia. Congestion at the climaxis, in characteristic Sepia constitutions, are quickly benefited by the remedy.

#Bellis perennis [Bell]
Our English confreres use this remedy quite extensively in what is termed a "fagged womb." The patients are very tired, want to lie down, have a backache. There is no real disease, but a marked tiredness all the time. Carduus is of supreme importance for liver troubles at the climaxis Ustilago. Often rivals Lachesis in controlling the flooding during the climaxis. Vertigo is characteristic.

sajjadakram View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 08 at 05:23
Weight reduction is possible only through diet control and exercise.Phytolacca berry is total failure.
sajjad.
msdaisy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 08 at 14:39
All I can say is WOW!  Thank you so much for this information.  It is very much appreciated
Ricky View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team
Ricky Rocks!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 08 at 10:23

I have prescribed it in a low potency 6x to a couple of grossly obese patients together with their constitutional remedy. Neither stuck at it as it caused them pain and diarrhoea!!

Gina - wrote you pasted above was for Phytolacca Decandra made from the root NOT the Berry!!

From Prisma MM

SLIMMING In the 1890s pokeberry extracts were employed to reduce obesity, after it had been observed that birds lost their adipose tissue when feeding upon the berries and that robins, before migrating South, slim down on them. The berries had such "reputed powers over adipose tissue" that Boocock tried them out on himself because he was "much annoyed at his bodily shape." "Having determined to make a proving of the berries, I secured them from my garden, prepared and took them, and in a few months reduced my proportions and again became shapely, having lost my protuberant abdomen. [Report of this will be found in the Homoeopathic Recorder of January, 1893.]." Boocock managed to reduce his girth measure three inches by taking a powder of the 1x trit. of the seeds two or three times daily on an empty stomach for one month. "The first effect is felt in the head, pain or dull feeling, right side over the temporal region, and is most from within, as if there was a fulness under the temporal bone; it then passes across the head to the left side and presses under what is usually spoken of as the 'bump of veneration'; there is a slight feeling of fulness in the ears, and an aching in the atlas, at the base of the skull. It then is felt in the stomach, producing a severe pain [such as I have heard described as arising from a perforating ulcer] going through to the back, but no feeling of fulness or belching of gas, only pain. One fat lady to whom I gave it had to decrease the dose and take it less frequently because of this pain in the stomach and abdomen. ... I could give you many cases that have been greatly reduced in flesh and made to feel comfortable in their actions and breathing, but as it is too early in some cases, perhaps I had better not."

Rochelle
RSHom
Registered Homeopath
Practitioner in Meridian Therapies (Level 3 Advanced EFT)
faith_healer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 08 at 10:29
Nat Phos 6X is quite effective for losing weight provided the body has any water retention.

Have faith!
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 08 at 10:49
Water retention in the body is  a serious problem i do not know that Natrum Phos can take care of complicated diseases like water retention.
sajjad.
G Tyler View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 08 at 10:00

Nat Phos 6X is quite effective for losing weight provided the body has any water retention............................................(posted by faith)

No homeopath would prescribe on this basis alone.I agree With your coment Sajjad.There are hundreds of remedies that fit the symptoms of weight gain.

Firuzi Mehta View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 08 at 00:39
Phytolacca Berry Tincture has been mentioned in our books as useful to bring about weight loss in obese subjects.

In my experience, it may help to reduce a few kilos initially, then the weight goes back to the original levels.

It is best to find a remedy that fits the total picture and addresses the cause of the obesity as well.
Dr. Firuzi Mehta (India)
B.H.M.S.(Bom.) H.M.D.(Lon.)
http://www.homoeopathie.in

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Einstein
faith_healer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 08 at 12:56
FYI

Re: ? on Nat Phos, weight loss pleaseFrom Joe De Livera on 2006-08-13
It was I that first discovered that Nat Phos does reduce weight in 2002 which I announced on:

http://www.abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/15923/

forum for the benefit of others who may like to know.

ravi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 08 at 22:06
Originally posted by faith_healer

FYI

Re: ? on Nat Phos, weight loss pleaseFrom Joe De Livera on 2006-08-13
It was I that first discovered that Nat Phos does reduce weight in 2002 which I announced on:

http://www.abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/15923/

forum for the benefit of others who may like to know.

And you think this is a sound prescription on a homeopathic forum? Have you verified it? Do you know the degree of success or failure it has generated.
Leave aside all that, can you justify tossing out hearsay in this fashion?
Carole Franske View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team
Always Young

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 08 at 23:35
A specific herb does not fit or help all.
Some people will respond well to a herb to loose weight but it doesn't mean the next person will have the same success because we are all different.
A weight reducing herb may for example help 30% of people to loose weight but it will not help the other 70% to do so. 

A good herbalist gives one remedy and never for longer than three weeks at a time.  If it has not shown some benefit in that time it should be discontinued.
Herbs should not be given continuously for extended periods.  In some cases they are given for a number of days and then stopped for up to one week.  Herbs in my experience are given to help a condition and when the condition is helped, they are stopped.  With a very overweight individual they may be needed longer giving a week break about every three weeks.

Often bottles of herbs have several herbs in them because if one doesn't work maybe one of the others will.
This is not the way to take herbs.

Dr.Tahira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 08 at 12:50

I have never seen phytolacca working for obesity unless it comes up on individuality basis.Its unnecessary use can cause harmful effects.

Dr.Tahira

gavinimurthy View Drop Down
The Engineer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 08 at 22:49

Clarke mentions the reason why and how  Phytolacca entered the homeopathic literature as a remedy for obesity. He says a certain species of birds which take primarily Phtolacca Berries as food never become obese and they always stayed lean. This observation was lapped up by Homeopaths and the remedy entered the homeopathic books as a remedy for Obesity.

However the experience of many practicing homeopaths including mine is that it is useless for treating Obesity. In fact medicines have a very limited role in controlling obesity, and one needs to make life style changes and stick to them for life to get rid of Obesity.

There are no short cuts.

Murthy

Avoid doing things to others which will make you red when others do it to you.

Mahabharat-Hindu Epic
Irfan Siddiqui View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 09 at 00:47
Weight loss, I suppose is the most difficult thing to do. And, as far as Phytolacca Berry is concerned I can assure you it is a myth and nothing more. Yes in some case it can boost the endocrine system but usually it does not work. Want to lose weight: spend your calories, switch to active lifestyle and eat the right calories. Smile  
Homeopathic Consultant
Dr. Irfan Siddiqui
D.I.H. (UK) H.M.D. (UK)
Lahore Cell: 92-0300-9400354
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 09 at 05:06
The manufacturer and the seller  is earning a lot of money by misguiding the public.
sajjad.
In any complicated chronic case,the recent symptoms are the deciding ones.Cure your case in layers,the last layer first.(Woodbury)what,where,when,why, with are important.
B.Sc;D.H.M.S,(Pak.)
oriam View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 09 at 08:22

Gavinimurthy wrote:
"Clarke...mentions (that) a certain species of bird which take primarily Phytolacca Berries as food never become obese and they always stay lean".

In nature, Birds, eating or not Phytolacca, are never obese. Some species are accumulating fats as fuels previously to long migration or before winter, but it is not obesity. So it is not a very good observation and conclusion by Clarke.

I would be very interested if someone has some information to share on Phytolacca at Sensation level. (Sankaran's approach).

Thanks
oriam
Mario Guilbault
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>