Health Calculators
Hpathy.com
Homeopathy Discussion Forums   Online Homeopathy Course   Homeopathic Disease Prognosis   Health Calculators   Homeopathy 4 Everyone  

These forums have been archived. Visit

http://forum.hpathy.com

to access the NEW HOMEOPATHY FORUMS

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDog has toe inflammation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
docjulie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dog has toe inflammation
    Posted: 06 Feb. 08 at 22:06

Hello,

My dog has had a problem with one of her nails and some swelling with the adjacent toe.  When I brought her to the vet in June they didn't know what was wrong.  Since then it has gotten worse.  The nail broke off, she constantly licked the toe, there was a distinct odor and I could see an infection in the nail!  The vet gave her Clindamycin 300mg twice a day for staph and proteus, which came up on the culture.  She has been on the antibiotics for 2 weeks, the odor has decreased, the visible infection is gone and she has stopped licking it.  However, the swelling is worse and where the nail and infection was has tripled in circumference, is now bloody again and I am a nervous reck about it.

Does anyone have any advice?

Julie

edebeukelaer View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 08 at 16:49

This sound like a nail bed infection but I am not sure whether the dates are right in your post: you said it started in June? = been going on for > 6 months?

Edward

edward
homeopathy for the patient behind the symptoms.
edward@debeukelaer.fslife.co.uk
docjulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 08 at 21:42

Hi Edward,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, over 6 months!!  I brought her into the vet in June, and they thought it was just some soft tissue swelling.  I believe it was October when the nail broke off.  She seemed to be better until the holidays, when the swelling got worse.  I tried to do some home remedy sort of things with topical antibiotics and olive oil and garlic, which drew it out and then went to the same vet again.

I just spoke to my neightbor whose ex- is a vet. He thought that it might be a nail fungus or squamous cell carcinoma.

What do you think?

Julie

Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 08 at 07:32

If it really has been there that long it is best to identify exactly what it is. There is a possibility that it is some kind of tumor or worse. Insist that your vet identifies the nature of the lesion before you decide on treatment (take a tissue sample and send to lab for examination). You can start homeopathy but it will have to be very targeted for the case.

How old is the dog, what breed is it and how painful is it?

edward

edward
docjulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 08 at 18:49

Hi Edward,

Thanks for your reply.

She is a 10 yr old Lab/border collie mix.  It is painful I think.

We are seeing a new vet tomorrow that was highly recommended, with the intention of getting her opinion and a biopsy done.

I will post again tomorrow,

Thank you for your responses.

Julie

docjulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 08 at 20:44

Hi Edward,

We saw the new Vet today.  She thinks my dog has cancer.  She did an aspiration of the swollen toe and an inflamed lymph node in her leg.  The pathology report will be back on Friday.  Her vitals were normal.

She also did a chest x-ray and foot x-ray.  The chest x-ray was normal which ruled out Melanoma.  The foot x-ray revealed severe soft tissue swelling and bone swelling; however, there is hardly any bone loss and whatever this is did NOT cross the joint space!  So it is still only in the distal phalanx.

The Vet put her on Cipro, an broad spectrum antibiotic and we agreed on Trameel rather than an NSAID for the inflammation.

I would love to hear you thoughts and ideas.

Thank you,

Julie

Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 08 at 13:54

It is possible to treat this with homeopathy, but this would require an intensive follow up. This will best be done privately. This forum is not be the best place for it.

Alternatively, I can imagine that my colleague will propose an amputation of the toe. This is of course some sort of a defeat but there are many dogs out there with a toe missing for the same reason and do very well.

Edward

edward
Nacho Cabrera View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 08 at 22:34

Doc Julie:

Which is the affected toe? W e recently amputatted finger I (pollex) in the left hand (fore paw) of my mother's Bull Terrier female, but it si not an important toe of course. I hope it is a benign case.

MVZ Nacho Cabrera

Homeopathy is not to live from her, but to live with her. (Dr. Dario Flores)
docjulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 08 at 07:54

Hi Edward and MVZ Nacho Cabrera,

I am much more interested in the homeopathic route, especially given that she has an inflammed lymph node and it is one of her weight-bearing toes. 

I wouldn't mind amputation so much if she was as fortunate as your dog MVZ.

Thanks for your replies.  I'll  be posting again tomorrow with our results.

What do I do to get a consult?

Julie

Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 08 at 15:37

I have followed up a few cases over the net. It is not my preferred way of working. Some were successful and others never got anywhere. I would have to Google vet homeopathic consults to find offers from colleagues.

Are you sure there is no homeopathic vet or human homeopath (happy to work with the blessing of your vet) in your area?

Before jumping into any decision, await the histo results. Also, even in case of the major toes, amputations appear to be a very reliable solution.

Edward

edward
docjulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 08 at 21:15

Hi there,

Not such great news.  It is squamous cell carcinoma and there is a 60% chance that it will spread.  Not sure what to do.

She will be starting herbs for inflammation, squamous cell and a major anti-oxidant for general cancer when I receive them late next week.

I don't know anyone that does homeopathy for dogs.

What do you think?

Julie

Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 08 at 05:24

There is a referral resource on http://www.drpitcairn.com/referrals/anhc_referrals.html

Hope you can find somebody close enough.

Best,

Edward

edward
docjulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 08 at 06:26

Thanks Edward for your concern and advice

I will check it out

Julie

alfredodog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 09 at 21:58
this is either two things
1. dogs sweat through the toes overactive sweatglands cause toes to fall off and toes swell up and gt infected
2.  Thyroid levels  , if smell on skin and loss of hair and enemia check t3 and t4 levels for encocrin system malfunctions !
Alfredo
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 09 at 05:21
Dear Alfredodog,
I am not sure about your comments here can you explain in a much more detailed matter?
edward
edward
docjulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 09 at 19:23
Hi Alfredodog,

I think you're right on with something.  I had to put my little one to sleep last August.  I realize in retrospect that my girl had serious adrenal issues that were never assessed.  When cortisol levels are high, immune function is low; which leaves them vulnerable to bacteria, parasites and worst of all, cancer.  As a holistic practitioner, I work with adrenal function everyday in practice, but needed an outsider's perspective to see how to treat my own.  Last year, there was no one to discuss endocrine function.  After Pep was gone I realized being caught up in the emotion of it all, left me unable to think straight.

Thank you ,

Julie
furryboots View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 09 at 21:41
Dear Julie,

I am a veterinary homeopath and tutor of veterinary homeopathy, however my own health prevents me taking cases at present. I normally consult by email. I have thus been looking for other vethoms to take my cases.  If you would like to contact me privately, I would be happy to pass on a couple of names for you to follow up, to see if someone is right for you.

I would not give up at this point - homeopathy is very worthwhile to try. My last case of squamous carcinoma took a year to come right, but he did come right beautifully - a collie dog. It needed lots of remedy starting low potency and eventually going very high (50M) to complete the case.

Anyway - Other ideas:
Add turmeric to the diet, cancer will not grow in its presence, and it is safe for dogs.
Remove all canine toxins from the diet as they encourage cancer (eg garlic, alfalfa, yucca, raisins, grapes, broccoli, wheat and any herbs not tested in dogs.)

Give a high antioxidant diet and add more: Alpha lipoic acid, Vit C, Vit E acetate (this form of E kills cancer), fish oil.
Add spinach, dandelion greens, cooked pumpkin and squashes - to help the immune system. (Dogs use carotene directly, but need it cooked for availablility)
Reduce the inflammatory items like plant glutens, plant protein of any kind, starches, and sugars.
Increase good protein, trim excess meat fat (not all as it has arachidonic acid dogs need)  and substitute extra virgin olive oil.

Supplement Moducare to boost Th-1 cytokine function including killer cells against cancer.

Add rice bran to the diet as the best pre-biotic for canine gut bacteria to eat and convert to butyrate, propionate and acetate to support organ function, and to make many needed vitamins.
Also add brewer's yeast to the diet.

Hope that is a starting point.
My email contact is through furryboots@catlover.com

Namaste,
   Irene
Irene de Villiers, B.Sc AASCA MCSSA D.I.Hom/D.Vet.Hom.
www.angelfire.com/fl/furryboots/clickhere.html (Veterinary Homeopath.)
"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt one doing it."
docjulie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 09 at 22:11
Dear Irene,

Thank you for your post; I wish I had heard from you 1 year ago.  My little Border Collie did not survive our fight against SCC.  Perhaps someday I will get another dog, but at this point, I'm not sure I could ever go through this kind of loss a second time.

I will keep your information if things should change.

Gratefully,

Julie
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 09 at 20:36
Oh I am so sorry you loss a special companion like that, it is very traumatic. 
Please though - do not think you would have to go through that again. Keep to holistic approaches - instead of vaccinations - and you will not see that kind of illness. It is MAINLY vaccines that skew the immune system to predispose them!

About 1984 I predicted I would never have a chronic disease among my own cats unless they were (vaccinated by law) imports.
I have had ten to twenty cats in my home as "family" since about 1970, most bred by me or a friend overseas, and year before last is the first I lost one to chronic disease (liver cancer at age 14, very sudden, I actually suspect pancreas cancer was more relevant in her case based on what I saw, but the mass was huge when first noticed): She was an import from Germany with a very long list of required vaccines that she got all before 4 months of age. 

I have 3 other imports among my current nine, but two of them had homeopathic remedies at time of vaccination, and no "stupid" vaccines like leukaemia  - and the oldest of the imports is 16 now. The other unfortunately is my newest one and I fear for her as she ages. Her thymus will already be "shot", removing her chronic disease resistance. Age two so too late for me to apply remedies "during/after" vaccination. I know from experience it does not help - or not enough to count at that late stage.

Namaste,
    Irene

Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 09 at 20:37
I left out the conclusion and reason I wrote!

...So please do not deny yourself the pleasure and love of a wonderful companion out of fear:-)

...........Irene
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>