Health Calculators
Hpathy.com
Homeopathy Discussion Forums   Online Homeopathy Course   Homeopathic Disease Prognosis   Health Calculators   Homeopathy 4 Everyone  

These forums have been archived. Visit

http://forum.hpathy.com

to access the NEW HOMEOPATHY FORUMS

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat does antidote mean?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
puneetm View Drop Down
Student
Student

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does antidote mean?
    Posted: 03 April 06 at 08:59

Sorry if this question is very basic.

Ques. Let's suppose i am taking Nux Vomica and it has helped me. After some time i need Aesculus. Now Aesculus anti dotes nux. So the question is does aesculus revert all the good that nux vomica achieved?

gavinimurthy View Drop Down
The Engineer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 06 at 10:45
No. An antidote removes the undesired aggravations of the previous medicine given, if any. When Aesculus is mentioned as an antidote to Nux.Vomica what it means is that you can give Aesculus  to a patient, who is very much aggravated by Nux.Vomica, and expect his aggravation to subside, if the aggravated symptoms are similar to Aesc.

Two areas where the antidotal action of aesc. may help is piles and backache. I don't think it will work as an universal antidote for all the aggravations of Nux.vomica.

On the other hand if a patient is benefitted by Nux.vomica, and if he needs Aesculus now, and if you are sure of it, go ahead and give it.

It will not spoil the good that is made with Nux.Vomica.

Murthy
Avoid doing things to others which will make you red when others do it to you.

Mahabharat-Hindu Epic
puneetm View Drop Down
Student
Student

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 06 at 11:11
thanx a lot murthy,

i am suffering from anal fissures and during the course of various treatments, used mineral oil ( nearly 3 months) to ease passing bowels. so took Nux Vomica 200C, once a day for couple of days. Well the dependence on mineral oil was gone, stool were soft.

i kept on taking Nux Vomica 200C once every day for the fear that if a stop the familiar pain of anal fissure will come back. then i developed this backache and symptoms of anal fissure ( constriction and slight bleeding ) reappeared. thought they were aggrations so stopped Nux Vomica.

took silica 12X for 2 days ( this i take whenever i have bleeding ). bleeding pain stopped. Now i am not taking anything.

the only thing remaining is very slight back pain ( at the very end of the spine ). this is new for me. went to abchomeopathy and entered all my symptoms and pop came Aesculus.

Ques. Was i having an aggravation?

Ques. should i take aesculus? didn't take it for the fear that nux's benefit will be gone?

i am sort of self prescribing though with the help of abchomeopathy website online software.

cheers,

puneet
The Engineer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 06 at 11:32
My suggestion is to wait atleast for a week, before thinking of Aesculus.

please remember that you have to stop taking the medicine, the moment you feel relief. Think of repeating only when the symptoms come back unchanged. If the symptoms change, you have to look for another medicine to suit the present symptoms.

You say very slight backpain. Bear withit for about a week. It may go away. If not review the case afresh.

Murthy

Mahabharat-Hindu Epic
puneetm View Drop Down
Student
Student

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 06 at 11:44
thanx murthy,

i am waiting for now. i am not taking anything. backpain is very slight, does not bother me that much. my main issue with the pain while passing bowel is normal, so not doing anything.

one lesson i have learned is don't treat homeopathy as allopathy and aggravations happen.

i was taking silica 12X and it helped me with the fissure, i kept on taking it thinking that the potency was low and aggravations will not happen. but then i had this feeling of warmness ( not fever ) and tiredness ( cannot open eyes etc ). also i had this feeling of dust in the teeth / gum area. so silica was also getting rid of the gum infection also. this was the point i realised that i was aggravating.

you certainly need a good homeopath to work with. in USA it's difficult to find homeopaths.

homeopaths on web is a good development. the next issue will be to sort out the good ones from the bad. Being on the recv end of globalisation ( in the form of computer s/w outsourcing), i think globalisation is good for mankind in general.

cheers,

puneet
Jacob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 06 at 13:32

Hmm, do you still have the fissure? or has it cleared completely? If it hasn't, I would try Nit Ac. which is very well indicated for this condition, as well as for pain at the base of the spine. I actually cured both these symptoms (the pain at the base of the spine had actually progressed to spinal arthritis) in an elderley uncle with this remedy. And hmm, Aesc. antidotes Nux Vom? that's a new one on me!

The Engineer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 06 at 18:46
Originally posted by Jacob

And hmm, Aesc. antidotes Nux Vom? that's a new one on me!

It brings us to the original question.

Any medicine which is capble of removing the unnecessary aggravations of the previous medicine can be considered an antidote.

The literature normally talks about trying Aesc, in case Nux. fails in piles and other anal problems.(Rehman). May be there is a mention of it as an antidote also, by some other author.

Murthy

Mahabharat-Hindu Epic
puneetm View Drop Down
Student
Student

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 06 at 05:53
I was reading drug relationships and there it was mentioned that Aesc antidotes nux.

I tried nitric acidum in 30C potency, but after getting cured it relapsed after 2 weeks. in fact that is my story, fissure hels and then relapses. I was also taking collinsonia also around this time. After taking it for 2 months i stopped as there was no benefit. BTW the homeopath prescribed these meds just based on my acute symptoms and did not take in my case.

I have been reading up on homeopathy. now the following things are clear:

1. always take 1 med only, because you know how are the effects of it, whether it's taking effect or not.

2. in my case i think the initial healing was a good step and we should have at least tried inceasing the potency, but the docter was in india and i am here in USA.

i will consult a classical homeopath.

my surgeon put me on nifidipine ointment ( it relaxes internal anal sphincture muscles allowing fissure to heal). The effect was good, let's see how long this lasts.

cheers,

puneet
The Engineer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 06 at 06:43
Hi Puneet

Where did you find that Aesc is an antidote to Nux.v? Give the reference, if possible.

Murthy

Mahabharat-Hindu Epic
Jacob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 06 at 07:28

Originally posted by puneetm

I was reading drug relationships and there it was mentioned that Aesc antidotes nux.

I tried nitric acidum in 30C potency, but after getting cured it relapsed after 2 weeks.

I have not heard of Aesc being an antidote to Nux, and while it is true that it may relieve some of the very basic physical symptoms of the remedy, for a drug to be a true antidote it should cover a wide range of the initial drugs symptoms. I have always found it best to rely on the antidote section at the back of Kents repertory for a list of true antidotes to remedies.

You say Nitric Acid cured the condition for two weeks. I would assume you then applied the remedy again in a higher potency? This being the basic method of Homoeopathic prescribing!

Edited by Jacob - 13 April 06 at 07:28
puneetm View Drop Down
Student
Student

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 06 at 13:12
jacob,

in retrospect my homeopath didn't ask me to up the potency just asked me to take it a few times more. i have a speculation that my case relapsed because:

1. we didn't upped the potency.

2. wrong remedy.

3. taking nitric acidum 30C many times a day in dry dosed somehow anti doted.

my feeling is we should have taken step 1. anyway right now the fissure is dorment, but am afraid it may come back.

as for aescules anti dotes nux

http://www.homeoint.org/hering/drugrelationship-a.htm

again, i am starting with homeopathy, so may have misinterpreted.

cheers,

puneet
Jacob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 06 at 13:30

I agree, the relapse was much more likely to be the result of the potency being exhausted, and should have been given again, higher, especially as there was cure (allbeit shortlived) under it's action. As for the condition being dormant, I would watch out for new symptoms of a deeper nature. Applying an ointment is really the worst thing for an outward expression of disease, and more often than not will remove the expression, but only at the cost of driving the disease inward and toward a higher organ.

As for the antidotal relationship between Nux and Aesc, that site is actually VERY confusing, as under remedy antidotes it gives a list (as far as I can make out) of remedies that the drug in question actually antidotes in some, and the reverse In others, I.E the remedies listed under a drug, are those which antidote that particular remedy, which is the way used in Kents repertory, so who knows!

Regards & good health, -Jacob.

The Engineer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 06 at 20:04

Æsculus hippocastanum.

ANTIDOTES :- Nux-v.

COLLATERAL :- Æsc-g.

COMPATIBLE :- Coll., Nux-v., Sulph.

SIMILAR :- Aloe, Coll., Merc., Nux-v., Pod., Sulph.

Hi Puneet

I think you need a little clarification.What it means here is that  if aesculus  has  made the symptoms  to  aggravate,  then nux.v  can be used to  remove those aggravations.  Nux.v also  being  compatable to  Aesc, it will not negate the good that is done by Aesculus, but will remove the overaction of it,  and help you further.

Now, read about Nux.v

Nux vomica.

ANTIDOTES :- Wine, coffee, Acon., Bell., Camph., Cham., Cocc., Op., Puls., Stram. ; to narcotic, drastic and vegetable remedies ; bad effects of aromatics in food, such as ginger, pepper and of so-called hot medicines, citrate of magnesia, alcohol, the tremors of mercury, neuralgia of Mezereum, and ether.

COMPATIBLE :- Ars., Bell., Bry., Calc., Chin., Ip., Lyc., Mag-m., Phos., PULS., RHUS-T., Sep., Sulph.

COMPLEMENTARY :- Sulph.

INIMICAL :- Acids, Ign., Zinc.

SIMILAR :- Æsc., Aloe, Alumn., Ambr., Arn., Asar., Ars., Bell., Berb., Bism., Bry., Calad., Calc., Canth., Carb-v., Card-m., Cast., Caust., Cham., Cob., Cocc., Coll., ether, Graph., Ham., Ign., Kreos., Lach., Led., Lyc., Merc., Op., Phos., Puls., Staph., Sulph., Zing.

In the antidotes section there are two  lists seperated by a semicolon

Wine, coffee, Acon., Bell., Camph., Cham., Cocc., Op., Puls., Stram.

This is the list by which Nux.is antidoted.

to narcotic, drastic and vegetable remedies ; bad effects of aromatics in food, such as ginger, pepper and of so-called hot medicines, citrate of magnesia, alcohol, the tremors of mercury, neuralgia of Mezereum, and ether.

This is the list for which Nux.v acts as an antidote.

The adding of these two lists, under the same heading is causing slight confusion.

Hi Jacob

I think the ' ;' and the word 'to' differentiates the two aspects you mentioned.

Otherwise, it is a good list.

Thanks Puneet, for bringing this out.

Murthy

Mahabharat-Hindu Epic
Jacob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 06 at 23:50

Ahhh, I see now. I have never encountered that method of listing antidotes before, it is somewhat confusing, but then I have never found Hering to be the most articulate of writers (except of course in his proving of Lachesis, which is second to none).

Thankyou for the clarification

Regards, -Jacob

G Tyler View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 06 at 12:07

Dear Puneet

Yes as jacob  has posted "to  use topicals on your skin will suppress"....suppression is a bad thing,this will stop the pain you are feeling but will drive the problem  deep within you in the long run doing great harm to your entire system.

This is perhaps the relief you are presently feeling (due to toplicals)  The skin is an organ of expulsion/ellimination so by the time an illness comes to the surface/skin it is on it's way out..................by suppressing it via creams-lotions-any topicals you are causing   more harm.

There are many great homeopaths in the usa please find a local one and make an appt before this gets ridiculous   www.homeopathic.org

Gina Tyler

doctormerchant View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 06 at 09:48

so, dear murthy (my knight in shining armour) this used to intrigue me in my student days.... In Gibson Miller's table of Remedy relationships, the 5th column titled as "Antidotes" signifies.... (a) list of medicines that antidote the remedy mentioned in 1st column?

OR

(b) the enlisted medicines in this 5th column antidote the actions of the parent remedy mentioned in the 1st column ?

i have assumed, after goin thru various other references, that the heading "Antidotes" shold've been more appropriately labelled as "Antidoted By"

Plz tell me wether i'm correct/incorrect

"Homoeopathy is a science of nonsense! We are only interested in the non sensical paart of what the patient says." --- Dr. Rajan Sankaran
The Engineer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 06 at 17:04
Dear Doctormerchant

The antidotes generally refer to the medicines, that can reduce the bad effects from the remedy given in the first column.

http://homeoinfo.com/06_materia_medica/remedies/drug_relatio nships.php

Antidotal

Antidotal

modifies or opposes the effects of a remedy

Antidoting can mean several things. First it can mean countering the effects of a chemical in poisoning. And second, it can mean countering the lasting or chronic effects created by a remedy.

Antidoting is not the same as masking or suppressing a symptom. If, because of participation in a proving, you develop a patch of dry skin, the use of a lotion to moisturize the area does not antidote the remedy. The action of the remedy has not stopped. The symptoms have just been made less visible. Also, it is superstitiously believed that certain physical actions like touching the remedy or opening two vials at the same time will antidote the remedy nullifying the effects.

Coffee often antidotes remedies and should be checked in the patient’s diet.(Under certain conditions). Camphor products (Vicks VapoRub or others) are routinely avoided due to Camph being an important antidote. Check for antidote entries in a good materia medica before using or prescribing a remedy.

You are correct. Antidote generally mean, 'antidoted by'

The black text is mine.

Murthy

Mahabharat-Hindu Epic
The Engineer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 06 at 17:07
I avoid any product that says it contains Camphor on the label. It includes Vicks Vaporub. I use Zandu Balm instead, if required.(It is free of camphor)

Murthy

Mahabharat-Hindu Epic
HansW View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 06 at 06:31

Dear Members

Back to the original question: What does ANTIDOTE mean?  None of the previous postings explains the matter in homeopathic terms.  For that reason the following article will explain everything in plain language; should there be any more questions please ask.

Boenninghausen's Remedy Relationships - The missing link

Author: Hans Weitbrecht
Date: 31/5/2002

The remedy relationships are an integral part of homeopathic prescribing . Most Materia Medicas and Repertories make reference to them, yet it is largely unknown to the homeopathic community what their use and value is in day-to-day practice.

C. M. v. Boenninghausen in the publication:
Versuch über die Verwandtschaften der homöopathischen Arzneien nebst einer abgekürzten Übersicht ihrer Eigentümlichkeiten und Hauptwirkungen, Münster, Coppenrath.
1836 ( Relative Kinship of homeopathic remedies) gives for the first time a comprehensive introduction to the usefulness of the concordances.

The ,,Characteristics'' forming the first part of this work were translated and augmented by C.M. Boger and now form part of his work: Characteristics and Repertory, (first ed. 1905, second 1937.)

The ,,Relationships'' being the second part, and particularly the all-important introduction to the subject was not translated or published in English. I therefore took it upon me to translate this article, hoping, that it will inspire the homeopath in the use of the remedy relationships.

Relationships of Remedies (Boenninghausen, 1836)
Versuch über die Verwandtschaften der Arzneien
Translated: Hans Weitbrecht

If one remedy has the ability to annihilate according to its own action by cure (ie. In the reaction) the symptoms caused by another remedy, I then term the apposition , as it exists between these two remedies as Relationship.(1)

From this definition emerges, that I make a major difference between related and the only antidotaric appositions of the remedies to each other, whereas in the latter also the first action can be taken into consideration, if it is similar in fast acting remedies, and if in the case of poisoning a weakening ( indifferentiation, neutralisation) of the poisonous substance is achieved by it.

By the use of an antidote against morbid symptoms, caused by another medical substance, which (in case of the timely application) by its first action are removed, only those very symptoms are eradicated, but other disease conditions, present in the patient, are by no means improved.

It is a different outcome, if in this situation an antidote is applied, which brings about the cure by its second action. If the remedy for the suffering person is selected, matching the presented symptom-group the closest in a homeopathic way (Therefore is related to the former), one will find that not only the later medical symptoms are removed, but also the former complaints curatively, if they were within the sphere of action of this remedy. This experience stands as an explanation for another experience: - which undoubting was made by every attentive homeopath, and in my own estimate the continued observation is of greatest importance for to bring about cure-, that: numerous remedies act more profoundly curative, if another remedy (related) is applied before. (2)

We credit the first hint of this finding (like everything really reliable in homeopathy) to the attentive and skilful founder of the new school in the par.: 172ff. Organon (fifth ed.) concerning the cure of one-sided diseases.

As examples stand, thanks to his later observations, the excellent effectiveness
of Calc after Sulph,
of Caust after Sep,
of Lyc after Sep,
of Nit-ac after Calc and Kali-c,
of Phos after Kali-c ,
of Sulph after Ars and Merc, and
of Sep after Sil, Nit-ac, and Sulph.
And which homeopath didn't have the opportunity to rectify this observation, provided, he kept in view the basic principle of homeopathy (Similia similibus).

G.H.G. Jahr collected these experiences (of which the importance was also noticed by others such as Rummel in the allgem. Homöopathische Zeitung 4. S. 25.) alongside some other experiences in his handbook (P.:44) under the heading: Notable Order for the application of the remedies.

The number listed there is yet too small, and would easily lead to a routine application, and on the other hand, there are but few occasions to make use of them under homeopathic principles. Furthermore the listing as it stands gives rise to the opinion (already uttered), that following it, it would make a difference in which order the remedies follow each other. There are even opinions that remedy A can follow B but not the other way around in order to be beneficial.

Yet, indeed, this is not the case, and if one considers those experiences carefully with all the accessory circumstances, one will find, that here or there a contraindication was left unconsidered, and that overall the homeopathic principle was not followed strict enough. This was particularly alleged of Calc and Lyc, whereby I can assure that I have seen excellent results of Calc after Lyc, if the symptom-complex was of that nature, that at the beginning Lyc had preference and after its action Calc suited the rest of the disease, which is not always the case.(3)

The importance of the knowledge of the remedy relationships (which I realized in an early stage) urged me during the last two years to make comparisons in that direction, and to have a steady eye on the subject while prescribing. A great opportunity arose, when I started to arrange the repertories and furthermore the arrangement of the main areas of actions of the remedies, being combined and simultaneously worked at. By this cumbersome process, I gained certain insights, which then had to be tested in practise. The results of these findings and comparisons I herewith present to the science for further proof and completion. I feel that something had to be done in a more serious way, than done before, to shed light in this for the practice of homeopathy so extraordinary influential subject, and if, as I believe, the not unimportant results of my findings will inspire ready homeopaths to publish their findings, then, the aim is not missed, and I don't need to be afraid of having presented a premature work to the knowledgeable world.

The understanding and the use of the following chard of remedy relationships (more elaborate and augmented in the back of the Therapeutische Taschenbuch 1846 under the heading: Concordances, and in their generalized form in the: sides of the body and relationships 1854) is already outlined above. Yet, it should be helpful for the beginner to familiarize with the following additional points.

1. The related remedies are antidotes to each other (4), and can (by means of similitude of their symptoms) be used preferably with success for that aim. The related remedies do this more definitely than other remedies only partially similar, because they take away curatively (and not palliative or by mere first action) the symptoms brought out by another remedy. The reason for this probably lies in the observation, that every remedy brings out besides the noticed, strongly apparent symptoms a number of other, weaker, less noticed symptoms, which often don't belong to the non-related remedy, and by which the total symptom-picture of the latter is incapable of curing. It should not be overlooked, that not every related remedy is capable to remove all disease-symptoms, caused by the previous, but that every remedy can only cure within its sphere of action.
  2. Related remedies, given one after another act by far more curative, than non-related remedies. That the principal of similarity is given preference in the selection of the remedy goes without saying. But usually one will find the situation, that of the group of competing remedies, (particularly in chronic cases) the one or the other is found under the related ones (to the previous applied remedy). It is advisable then to give preference to this related remedy, if there are no contraindications found. It frequently happened to me, that a further more detailed inquiry brought out such symptoms, (previously unattended), which would have given definite preference to this remedy, and the result then always was delightful.
  3. The one-sided diseases give an excellent opportunity for the use of the remedy relationships. The cure of the one-sided diseases often renders difficult by the lack of characteristic symptoms. Here a incomplete fitting remedy (5) brings on quite often a change in the symptom picture and simultaneously of characteristic symptoms, so that it is easy now to alleviate the complete main malady in combination with the new side complaints (brought on by the remedy), by a remedy related to the first and homeopathic to the now existing symptom picture. This might have formed the basis of the opinion, that intermittent fevers are cured by Nux-v after Ipec., or Cina after Caps, over the last few years, where the disease often appeared in the way, that these latter remedies were pretty similar, yet the ground was prepared by the former, which increased the curativeness of the latter tremendously. Even in other (chronic and acute) situations I often found similar evidence.
  4. The advantage of the exact knowledge is even more prominent in the treatment of chronic disease, (than in one-sided disease).Chronic diseases demand for their cure almost always different remedies given in succession. Here, I experienced always the advantage, if I could apply after the previous remedy has finished acting beneficial a follow-up remedy, which was in close relation to the previous. The beneficial result of such a remedy, if it is selected homoeopathically often exceeds all expectations. Therefore I found it of advantage in those chronic diseases, which have only few characteristic symptoms, and are therefore difficult to cure, to determine the successive order of remedies (to be applied) in which (-provided it does not need to be changed later on by other symptoms), every time only related remedies follow each other, ideally such remedies, of which the one corresponds more to the main malady and the other more to secondary complaints. In my latest experience the result is by far better and quicker, than by the straight repetition of the remedy. I therefore rarely repeated a remedy lately and only did so in cases where there was only a quantitive lessening of the disease without any qualitative change of the total picture of the disease.(6)
  5. More than once it occurred, that two related remedies were so close in a disease, that the selection was difficult, and each of them covered some side- symptoms (concomitants), which were missing in the other. Here I saw the best result by alternating the two remedies, in not too long of a time span, so that always the next was given before the previous had acted out completely. The first action decreased and weekend then gradually, the steps in improvement increased and often there was no other remedy necessary to finish the cure. Lately I found it of advantage, (following Hahnemann's advice) to use different, the best: descending potencies in this case of repetition.(likewise in all the other incidents)
  6. It happens sometimes, that after a apparently suitable remedy the symptoms increase in height, like in a first action, but no improvement follows.(7) The reason is not always the previous abuse of the remedy, and sometimes a reason cannot be found at all. Here the application of a related and homeopathic (to the symptoms) remedy is beneficial. In these cases I don't wait for the reaction to come, but give the following perfectly homeopathic remedy quickly, and I was blessed most of the time with the delightful experience, that I had induced not only an amelioration of the aggravated symptoms, but also a sizeable improvement of the original state of disease.
  7. To the advantages of a fairly comprehensive chard of the remedy-relationships has finally to be added, that one gets a full picture of the sphere of action of the remedies multitude of curative powers. Surely this cannot be achieved by an incomplete effort like this alone. If by collaboration and by the sharing of experiences on the subject a list of higher grade completeness will be achieved, then: it will add to the knowledge of the true genius of the remedies, if in the comparing study of their pure actions on the human body one keeps in view the relationship to others at the same time.

I want to conclude this treatise with the wish, that all attentive homeopaths would please forward any definite and non-doubtful experience on this subject.( private or in the periodicals) The importance of this already emerges from the above.
Equally importance for the practise is the knowledge of the inimicals. Those have been in the same way a subject of my previous study. The results are very scarce so far, so that I decided to withhold this information for the moment. Again on this subject I would like to ask the fellow homeopaths to submit their findings.

Footnotes:

1. Dr. Hering, our genius, has used this expression first publicly (Archiv 9.3. s.1130) and simultaneously pointed out the usefulness of a comprehensive knowledge of these relationships for the practise.
  2. We find a noteworthy hint of the powers of related remedies affecting the human body in Dr, Schmidt's article (Archiv 8.2.86) about the treatment of chronic diseases where he says: that the cure of those is most tedious and prolonged, even impossible in those cases, where for a long period medicines (in a allopathic way ) were used, which stand to each other as antidotes. My own experience supports these findings completely.
  3. There are different reports in the journals( Archiv) where Calc after Lyc worked particularly well and other cases where Lyc after Calc did not well.
  4. compare what I said in the introduction to the first edition to the repertory of the antipsoric remedies. (page: 18 in the second edition).
  5. Those cases of one-sided diseases, where the body shows little receptivity to the remedies and where side-symptoms are desired, were the only cases in the recent past, where I had to resort to slightly stronger doses. In all the other cases I achieved with the smallest drop of the 30th dilution, even only by olfaction, all what I wanted. I guess therefore, that some sort of a external disturbance is to be blamed for, if the apt remedy does only work in strong doses.
  6. Even under the last mentioned circumstances I have seen in the recent past (where I paid special attention to the repetition), only seldom from any dose sufficient improvement, quite often setbacks, particularly, where the highest attenuations were used.
  7. Only once a second dose of the remedy seemed to have brought improvement under those circumstances, but even this improvement did not last.

Commentary:

Boenninghausen differentiates the first action and the reaction of medicines, and admits only first action symptoms to the repertories. The first action is solely contributed to the medicine. The second action, also called: reaction is attributed to the liveforce's efforts to balance the situation out. Individual tendencies are mixed up there with medicinal symptoms. Sometimes also opposing symptoms to the first action are experienced.

Throughout his live, Boenninghausen never changed his plan of gathering this information. 1846 he writes in the introduction to the Therapeutic Pocketbook:

The seventh and last section, under the rubric: Concordances, presents the results of the comparative action of the various remedies mentioned in the work; firstly, in regard to the preceding sections noted with corresponding numbers, and finally under the figure VII, according to each particular remedy, everywhere with their value in rank, indicated in the same manner as indicated in the preceding sections. This laborious and time-consuming work (which indeed, has broadened and rectified my knowledge of the Materia Medica Pura) will take over the place of the Relationships, published 1836.
For myself, who for the past fifteen years have made the Materia Medica Pura my chief study as one of the most indispensable works of homeopathy, this concordances have been of extreme importance, not only for the recognition of the genius of the remedy, but also for testing and making sure of its choice, and for judging the sequence of the various remedies especially in the chronic diseases.

Hans Weitbrecht
HOMEOPATH
Letterbarrow, co. Donegal
Rep. Ireland
 Post Reply Post Reply