Health Calculators
Hpathy.com
Homeopathy Discussion Forums   Online Homeopathy Course   Homeopathic Disease Prognosis   Health Calculators   Homeopathy 4 Everyone  

These forums have been archived. Visit

http://forum.hpathy.com

to access the NEW HOMEOPATHY FORUMS

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcat with smelly diarrhea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smokinban View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: cat with smelly diarrhea
    Posted: 20 Sept. 04 at 14:58

Hi I am also fostering a 9 year old cat from the shelter that first off, supposedly has ringworm; all her cultures come back positive but she shows no sign of it. i took her off that dreaded fulvicin when i brought her into my home over 3 weeks ago; her coats looks beautiful and she has that glow back in her eyes that she didn't have for the longest time; she was a household giveup.

she also has had some liver problems in the past, was put on prednisone for a while and then was retested and her numbers went back to normal;

ever since being here she has this really stinky, light colored watery, diarrhea; no blood in it. at first i thought it was the fulvicin that was still in her body but she continues to do it on a daily basis;

she is eating well. i read that nux vomica might help? or slippery elm?

I treated her with bacillinum for the ringworm; i have to do another culture to see if it worked on her. she has not given it to any of my other cats.

Donna

john stanton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sept. 04 at 21:09

what was the observable symptomology concerning liver problems in the past?

how long was fulvicin used? what observable symptoms to validate fulvicin use?  or was this prescribed on diagnostic test?

how often cat get outdoors?

what is exact typical diet?

William Pardaan View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sept. 04 at 23:49

Hello Donna,

Fulvicin (griseofulvin) is used to treat ringworm, but the side effects vomiting and/or diarrhoea, clearly indicate that this medicine is upsetting the cat`s stomach and alternative treatment should be considered, which you are rightly trying now ! Fulvicin was the wrong choice, because this medicine should never be given to pregnant cats or (in this case) to a cat with liver problems !!!

(Chronic) liver disease will often be accompanied by Enteritis, which is a general term for inflammation of the lining of the small and large intestines (the bowels excluding the stomach). Enteritis may have several other causes and the real cause is often not found.

to be continued

Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sept. 04 at 00:03

continuation

Nux vomica 6c, is a good remedy to bear in mind as a second choice !(Dose 3-4 times daily for 4-6 days). Cause: digestive upset and possible liver involvement.

However, for the type of disorder you describe here + bearing in mind possible enteritis, I advise :

Sulphur 3c or 6c, give 3 times daily until improvement. If necessary you may go up to 12c or 30c, but first start in low potency ! Dry dosing in mouth, 1 tablet or a few coarse pellets is 1 dose. 

to be continued

Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sept. 04 at 00:13

continuation

The Bacillinum nosode you mention is the main(principal) remedy for Ringworm. Use 30c potency. Dose 3 times a day for 10-14 days. Repeat after a fortnight if there are signs of improvement, but the condition is not fully resolved. Stop treatment if there is no improvement after 2 courses !

If Bacillinum hasn`t helped give :  Sepia 30c. Dose as for Bacillinum.

If the patches are particularly seen on the head and the back of the ears and there is an offensive odour from the infected areas and much irritation give : Tellurium 6c or 30c. Dose 3 times a day for 8 to 12 days, if necessary until amel. (improvement)

Please print out this advice for later reference !      Wim.

Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sept. 04 at 01:46
Hello Donna,  I forget to tell you that using Fulvicin for Persian cats should be discouraged, because they are even more prone to suffering from its side effects !   Wim.
smokinban View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sept. 04 at 04:30

Hi Wim and John; this cat has been at the shelter for over a year. we originally caged her because she had become depressed and was not eating; while being caged she somehow came down with the ringworm and was caged even for a longer amount of time; the shelter treats all cats with the fulvicin for 42 days; they had brought this cat into the vet for blood tests to see what was going on and they noticed her liver values were high so they treated her with the pred. why the shelter owner put her on fulvicin is beyond me; the vets told her not to give her the fulvicin since she had liver problems but she thought a "low" dose wouldn't hurt :-) 

I took the cat home with me to foster and they supposedly thought i was finishing up her ringworm treatment with the fulvicin but i didn't. i gave her the bacillinum that i was treating some other cats with here that i was fostering also. none of them really had any spots or missing hair of any sort. the tests they use to diagnose ringworm is one of those where you pull the hairs out, put it into some gel and wait for it to turn red. I read the directions in the package and it says it also tests for other fungals like candida so i am wondering if some of these cats who are supposedly testing positive are not actually suffering from ringworm and are being put on this dreaded drug! we had such an outburst this summer a lot of cats ended up caged. and you should have seen their stools!!

So when this cat came to my house i started feeding her a good canned diet and some dry. sometimes she likes to eat a bit of raw food. So she has not had any fulvicin in her system for at least over a month. I do have sepia here; she doesn't show any signs of hair loss; she did have all these scabby things on the back of her head a few months ago but they have disappeared. she used to shed a lot too, all over the cage, her hair was falling out really bad; now her coat is so beautiful!

I just want to get rid of this stinky diarrhea for her and my sake!

Oh, oh, just noticed another one of my cats sitting in the litter box here trying to pee! a female who gets like this every few months.

i guess that's another post i will have to do; when it rains, it pours here!

Donna

Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sept. 04 at 04:58
Hello Donna,   Very good of you to stop giving the Fulvicin to this poor cat ! I don`t understand why some vets still give this medicine, knowing it`s bad for cats with (former) liver problems ??? Good luck with the treatment ! (I like cats !)  Wim.
john stanton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sept. 04 at 08:58

what is the  (exact) vaccination regime at the shelter for the cats?

kkrista View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sept. 04 at 08:00

Wholly Cow -just read this post and it makes me SOOOOOOO mad! You need to report this so-called shelter manager to the vets if she goes ahead and gives medication contrindicated to condition -yikes, someone has to stop this person from getting these meds in the 1st place if she is not going to use them responsibly. The vet who prescribed the "open" prescription is legally on the hook for this and I'm sure would want to know whats going on.

You are right; those culture kits (as are ultra violet) are super unreliable, because they will show positives almost always.

Having dealt with ringworm a lot -meds are stupid because they don't stop the parasite or cure it. It generally takes about 3 months to work out of a system, the spores are extremely hardy and will live in the environment dormant for years so infecting new cats is extremely likely in a stressfull environment. Heating systyem and ducts should be cleaned as well as the entire environment (especially vacuumed). It also prefers warmer environments, so temp should be kept to a minimum (it should always be lower in kennels in general) 

Grisio- if you read the actual insert, has a host of side effects, most notably liver. It like most drugs are primarily filtered through the liver, which is why you NEVER want to give most drugs to patients with failing livers or liver problems. It just makes me so mad because a) this cat probably didn't even have ringworm and b) grisio doesn't work. Also not sure how they are administrating, but grisio should always be given with food.

I think Wim mentioned Tell -I used this very successfully on a kitten with both ringworm and stool problems.

Ditto on persians and add siamese to the list of "weak" breeds. Siamese and persians are the favoured breeds for toxicity testing because they can't handle a fraction of what other breeds or animals can handle.

Miracle cure for soft stool is a raw, meaty bone diet (grind up some chicken necks or backs and for older cats, or cats with med conditions, mix in with good quality canned food about 1/2 and 1/2). Stay away from the grains! 

Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sept. 04 at 08:26
Yes, and if you use the bl.... griseofulvin, it should be given with e.g. a fatty meal, such as oil packed canned tunafish ! Then it works best ! Tellurium 6c or 30c is sometimes a good solution, depending on symptoms.   W.

Edited by William Pardaan
 Post Reply Post Reply