Health Calculators
Hpathy.com
Homeopathy Discussion Forums   Online Homeopathy Course   Homeopathic Disease Prognosis   Health Calculators   Homeopathy 4 Everyone  

These forums have been archived. Visit

http://forum.hpathy.com

to access the NEW HOMEOPATHY FORUMS

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFCoV/FIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Wim Pardaan View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: FCoV/FIP
    Posted: 10 July 04 at 12:20

FCoV means Feline Coronavirus in cats. Other animals and people are not affected by this virus.

This is a complex viral infection and many cats become infected with FCoV but only about 10% of these cats actually develop Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)).

Some cats with FIP live for weeks or even months after the disease becomes apparent and it is diagnosed, but I`m sorry to say, the outcome is always fatal. It is sometimes said that cured cases are known, but this must be because of wrong diagnoses.

FCoV is a very contagious virus and is easily spread from cat to cat in the stools (faeces) and also possibly from sharing feeding bowls etc. through saliva, from sneezing or mutual grooming.

It may infect individual cats or groups of cats usually under 3 yrs. of age.

Diagnosis is made from the clinical signs and by analysis of some of the abdominal fluid. Antibodies to the FCoV and the virus itself can be detected in the laboratory, but this doesn`t necessarily mean that the cat is going to develop FIP, meaning a present coranavirus mutating into the FIP virus.

to be continued.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 04 at 12:43

Continuation of FCoV/FIP

Main symptoms:

In the WET form of the disease, fluid accumulates in the abdominal cavity. This may become apparent as a swelling of the abdomen, although the cat itself has lost weight, making the ribs and the backbone stand out. Some cats appear bright and continue to eat, while other cats become dejected and go off their food. Sometimes fluid is also present in the chest, causing breathing problems when they move about.

In the DRY form there is likely to be a rise in temperature, loss of appetite and weight, dullness and in most cases some abnormalities of the eye develop. There may be a change in colour of the iris (be careful now Georgianna !), cloudiness or bleeding into the front of the eye. Other symptoms are jaundice, dyspnoea/dyspnea (difficult/laboured breathing), vomiting and/or diarrhoea.

There is no vaccination available for FIP, but for the treatment(alleviation of symptoms) and prevention there is a homeopathic remedy (nosode) called the FIP Nosode 30c.

This nosode is prepared from infected fluid taken from the abdominal cavity and used for protecting cats that are susceptible against this disease. Use and dosage should always be discussed with a homeopathic vet or vet. homeopath.

If fluid replacement therapy for dehydration is essential, this should be carried out by a professional !     

Kind regards, Wim.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 04 at 13:07
Addition vaccination.  At the moment there are no suitable vaccinations which prevent a cat, having FCoV, from contracting FIP. Vaccination should therefore only be seen as part of a  combat programme trying to decrease the chance/possibility of contracting FIP.         
sreischman View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team
Siamillimum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 04 at 16:23
Thanks Wim!  It's a very informative thread.
Shirley Reischman
Professional Homeopath
Georgianna View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 04 at 17:01
Thanks from me, too,  Wim!  Put that in my Wim's Words folder.
Sometimes on Earth, you can find something that resembles a little piece of Heaven. And sometimes on Earth, a little piece of Heaven can find you.
Barb View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 04 at 18:24
Wim - have you given FIP nosode to cats? 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 04 at 01:21

Yes, this nosode can be given just like any other remedy.

For prevention from turning FCoV into FIP  (when a corona virus might be mutating into FIP) do as follows:

FIP nosode 30c, twice a day (morning and night) for 3 days (apart from other remedies), then once a week for 4 weeks, after this once a month for 6 months. This works very well ! 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 04 at 02:05
And for prevention in general of course. Dr. Day`s cats never contracted FIP. He gives the nosode to all his cats ! 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 04 at 02:23

It`s morning now in the Netherlands and the rain is bucketing down.

Since incidence of FIP is still increasing I`ll give some more additional info.

For symptomatic treatment of FIP consider Tuberculinum Bovinum (with accomp. lung problems Tub. aviaire !), Lycopodium, Cantharis, Apis mell., Acetic.acid. Blatta amer.,Helleborus and Senecio.

These are the most important remedies a vet. homeopath chooses from to alleviate the various presenting symptoms.

Apart from Echinacea mother tincture a very important remedy to support the immune system and to help improve the cat`s general condition is :

Baptisia 6x or 3c, 12x or 6c, 30x or 30c.  Dose 3-4 times daily for a few days, lowering the dose or ceasing altogether if there is distinct improvement and repeating as necessary.

Give this remedy when not too many remedies are already being given ! However, a combination with 1-2 other remedies is possible. Think of antidoting/inimical remedies. Always check first !    

earthmama View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 04 at 18:03
My cat, Tree, who is 9 years old has just been diagnosed with FIP. His symptoms were simply an enlarged abdomen. I initially suspected a blocked bowel or growth, but my vet discovered his abdomen was filled with fluid - over a quart worth! All lab work points to FIP, though a PCR for the virus has not been done. I understand that this disease is fatal. Do you have any suggestions for providing him with the best quality of life and where to obtain homeopathic treatment? I also currently have 7 other cats. Is there a way to be proactive in preventing the spread of this disease? I'm desperate...
Can you help me save my best friend?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 04 at 00:25

Hallo E, To prevent this disease in susceptible cats, give the FIP nosode a.s.a.p. Dose twice a day (morning and night) for 3 days. Then once a week for 4 weeks. After this once a month for 6 months.

If one of your cats has already FIP also give this nosode for alleviation.  In addition give Baptisia 3c, 6c or 30c. Dose 3-4 daily for a few days, lowering the dose or ceasing altogether if there is improvement, and repeating as necessary.

Fluid replacement therapy for dehydration is essential and should be carried out by a professional.

Other homeopathic remedies or a different nosode (e.g. Tuberculinum bovinum) may  help to alleviate the various presenting symptoms (e.g. vomiting,diarrhoea),  but should be used under the guidance of a professional !  Regards, Wim.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 04 at 00:34

Baptisia is given to support the immune system and helps to improve the cat`s general condition.

Diagnosis of FIP : From the clinical signs and in the laboratory by analyses of some of the abdominal fluid. Antibodies to the FCoV virus (Feline Corona virus) and the virus itself can be detected in the laboratory, but this does not necessarily mean that the cat is going to develop FIP. In the WET form of the disease fluid accumulates in the abdominal cavity.

earthmama View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 04 at 11:55
Wim,

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll see if they help.
Can you help me save my best friend?
William View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 06 at 07:12

For cat owners/new members perhaps worth reading again.

Wim

Brooks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 06 at 13:41
Bump, for someone else interested in this condition.  (Such wonderful archives here, thanks!)
Just a slave to my cats
isis11 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 07 at 16:56
Hi, I have a 5 month old kitten that has just been diagnosed with FIP.  I am very interested in giving her the FIP Nosode but can't find any place in the US that sells it.  Time is of the essence.  Can anyone tell me where I can get this in the US, or even better in San Francisco, CA?
Fidget View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 07 at 14:04

Hello all,

I know this is a very old thread, however we are looking to get a new kitten, a Norwegian Forest Cat, but the mother has tested positive for FCoV and I wondered if this was/is transferable to the kittens? I have another cat already and wouldnt want to introduce this to our home.....

really hope someone can help with this

Many thanks

Fidget

JohnWest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 08 at 02:04

Up again for vet. students, etc.

G.

edebeukelaer View Drop Down
Hpathy Team
Hpathy Team

The Vet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 08 at 17:17

Thanks for re-opening this topic

The vet info is not 100% accurate. I explain:

Feline corona virus is nearly always present in all cats that live in groups of 4 or more (UK data). The disease usually shows in young cats (when they change from maternal to personal immunity = between 3-6 months) or in older cats where the immune system is diminished. Most cats in these households will live perfectly happily without ever showing any signs of disease.

There is indeed a wet and dry form. The wet form is the most common. Diagnosis is on clinical presentation through elimination of other diseases but confirmation can only be made post mortem.

The disease is very rare in solitary living cats. There is no evidence that nosodes work. Recently in the British veterinary homeopathic association newsletter there have been questions raised on the validity of the use of nosodes in the way suggested in this thread.

Edward

edward
homeopathy for the patient behind the symptoms.
edward@debeukelaer.fslife.co.uk
JohnWest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 08 at 00:24

What is said about the mode of action (effectiveness) of several nosodes also holds good for the FIP nosode.

But cat owners should know all the same that a FIP nosode exists which is available for the prevention and/or treatment of FIP. This is also mentioned by e.g. Dr. Francis Hunter and other well known prescribers in modern vet. literature.

Animal owners should always discuss the use of nosodes and dosage regime with a hom. professional as  mentioned/advised earlier in posts above.

It can`t be denied that nosodes have a definite role in the treatment of disease, and a possible one in prevention. They are also sometimes used as an alternative to vaccination, although it can be argued that this is not true homeopathy (Saxton/Gregory).

Perhaps it might go too far for this forum to discuss/raise some ethical issues concerning the use of nosodes as well. However, tempting as this may be, this would take many pages to do it properly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>