Health Calculators
Hpathy.com
Homeopathy Discussion Forums   Online Homeopathy Course   Homeopathic Disease Prognosis   Health Calculators   Homeopathy 4 Everyone  

These forums have been archived. Visit

http://forum.hpathy.com

to access the NEW HOMEOPATHY FORUMS

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCat in renal failure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kkrista View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cat in renal failure?
    Posted: 13 April 12 at 11:21
Hello, We took in a cat about 2 years ago. We gauged her age at 3-5 years of age, she came in with a litter of 3 kittens. She is a Siamese crossed with Persian with just a hint of the Persian squished-in face. All was well after her kittens were weaned when she suddenly developed a reoccurring abscess on her face and started to urinate dilute urine often. Blood work indicated renal failure, given her age we thought we might be able to arrest the symptoms. Of note was her low red blood cell count. Fearing the abscess and renal failure were connected to her teeth (which were not in great shape, although I've seen much worse), we did pull a few and she was put on a 4 week course of doxycycline to treat the active infection and cover her against any blood parasites as well as vit B injections weekly. We repeated blood work when her facial abscess reappeared and found no improvement in her blood results. She was put on a 2 month course of bi-monthly convenia injections. Despite her poor blood work results, the cat remains active and continues to eat well (you wouldn't know she was sick by looking at her). After we were certain that her infection was gone we set about to try and treat her anemia. We tried her on EPrex (Erythropoietin) injections however her PCV only increased slightly from 19% to 24%. Our vet has given up at this point. This case bothers me because the cat does not show any signs of actually "feeling bad" and we don't know what to do with her. One of her kittens did die of unknown causes when it was just a year old. I have the feeling that her condition is related to breeding and not the result of acute infection or natural old age. Any remedy ideas? (its been a while since I last hit the books). Thanks
kkrista View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 12 at 11:31
I should mention increased thirst has gone hand-in-hand with the increased volume of dilute urine and she maintains her hydration without assistance at this point. Also she is a shelter cat.
 Post Reply Post Reply